Well, the girl's stopped laying almost a month and a half ago and I refuse to winter them in feed and heat lamps... So the entire flock was butchered today. (Granted, it was just the six of them) This was my first batch of girls and we did the work ourself with the help of a friend who had cleaned, but not killed before. We used the cone method, which worked well... mostly. Right up until the point where the cone broke and the chicken fell into the wheel-barrow below. Poor chicken was not even touched yet! That had to be a heck of a fright! But the deed is done, and we shall be chicken-less for a few months now... My plan is to buy six new ones and cull two of them every year for a three year rotation. We had planned to do that from the start, but never go around to butchering them. Now that we have six of them under our belt, it will not be all that bad the next time!