processed three meaties today

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mxpres, May 13, 2009.

1. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    In the fridge as of now,,just got done and I am so proud of the way the turned out,,perfect,I did everything down to the smallest detail,and I am using the salt and brown sugar brine,I can,t wait to get one in the oven,,wife said she could not believe how they grew in 7 weeks,,its totally amazing,,thats my first stab at meat birds and it sure won,t be the last,I had to get on here and say thanks for all the advise and suggestions from everyone,,and last but not least,I am very proud of myself,,,thanks everyone again for the advise,,,,mxpres

2. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    [​IMG]

3. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Good For You!!! I would love to have some but afraid of the whole butcher process!! Don't know if I could do it without getting [​IMG]

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Great job! We butchered a dozen barred rock cockerels in February, and will be butchering our first Cornish X tomorrow. They're 8 weeks old. They're over 6 pounds, should be good-sized dressed out. Maybe we can compare notes after I'm done tomorrow...

Hope it's the best chicken you've ever eaten. You'll have to let us know.

5. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    Good job.. doing it yourself is.... well, a... job. I did 20 myself last year in batches of 4 or 5 at a time.

Darn good tasting chicken!

6. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Good for you! You are gonna so love what they taste like! Yum! I myself would rather hunt than cull a chicken, but I get through it. Just can't eat it the same day. Next day, I'm ready to heat up the oven!

7. mcdaid36

mcdaid36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Putnam County, NY
    I also processed a few today. 5 of them to be exact. They were cornish broilers from McMurrays. They are 7 1/2 weeks today, and dressed were between 5 lbs. and just over 6 lbs. I was very pleased! I have another 25 in the brooder, but those are colored rangers. It will be interesting to see the difference!

8. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    Congrats! Im getting close we are sitting at the 5 week mark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by