processed three RIR roosters this morning

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mxpres, Sep 10, 2009.

1. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    and i won,t miss their crowing either,and I sure will enjoy eating them,thats the first RIDs I have processed,and probably the last,from now on its straight cornish X,,so much more meat in so less a time period,,but they all look like chicken,and taste like chicken,,time to get them on ice and salt for about 24 hours,,then to the freezer,,,[​IMG]

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    How old were they? cornish x are nice, and I do them myself, but if you are hatching your own birds, it is nice to be able to go out and do a few birds at a time for dinner. I do both, but tend to use my extra roos for stews and soups etc. Of course the carcass of the cx goes to soup too. We eat alot of soup in the winter.

3. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    good for you!

the entire henyard will be happier - and so will you when they star in the next episode of "chicken n noodles'!!

yay you!

4. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    the RIR roosters were about 22 weeks old,nice birds,,firm but not plump and some fat,they were from a flock of 12 straight run I purchased from TSC in the spring,remember the article about being able to sex a bird by holding it up by the neck?well,its about 40% accurate,,out of 12 birds I got 7 hens and 5 roosters,but in was interesting and educational,and I few laughs when I told the sales girl at TSC how many roosters I got from the (all hen) flock [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by