1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

processing a meat chicken

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by MusketeerinFla, Dec 3, 2011.

1. MusketeerinFla

MusketeerinFla Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    I have field dressed deer, turkey, goose, squirrel , rabbits, ect. but I have never processed a chicken. I was wondering if it would be easier to skin a chicken to get rid of the feathers? MiF

2. UncleTommy

UncleTommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Sanger, CA
  3. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    It's definitely easier to skin them, but if you enjoy eating the skin, it would be worth it to scald and pluck. Both are very easy to do, but it's just much quicker to skin.

Check out the stickies in the top of this forum. There's one really great thread on killing, scalding and plucking and this youtube link for a vid that shows folks that skin. I skinned my last meaties and it worked out well for us. We also butchered them into pieces and vacuum sealed them and have them in the freezer. Delish. The video helped me out a great deal because there are certain areas that are more tricky when skinning.

I will note: When I scalded my birds to pluck them, I boiled a large pot of water and poured it into a large canning pot outdoors. I used a meat thermometer to get the temperature right and added some water from the hose to actually bring the temp down a hair. I was able to get two birds done out of that one pot without having it on a heating element.

4. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    P.S. WELCOME TO BYC!!!! [​IMG]

5. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    Skinning is a sin, to a plucker maker. [​IMG]

6. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    we prefer to skin them... Actually, do not ever plan to pluck one again-- and haven't for nearly 10 years now. This goes for all poultry.

7. MusketeerinFla

MusketeerinFla Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Thanks all, and thanks Itsy! I saw those drum like pluckers w/ the rubber nubs, and they are too expensive right now. I'm also trying to get my cholesterol / triglycerides down per my doctor, and I thought the skin was bad for you. MiF

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by