Processing Broiler at earlier age

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by steffanie3, Jun 1, 2008.

1. steffanie3

steffanie3 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2008
    I am wondering about ordering Red Bro Broilers from JM. I am wondering if there is a growing curve or some reason that we shouldn't process some of the biggest like at 5 or 6 weeks.

We by fryers from Shelton's that are like 3 pounds and those do pretty well for our family. I also make chicken stock for the health benefits, so bones are not waste to me.

So what do you think?

Would it be totally not worth it as far as meat goes to not pay for feed for 2 to 3 less weeks?

Just wondering [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, getting them done early is just like going out and buying the more expensive cornish "game hens" that are just 4 week old cornish x's. Not a problem.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    You certainly can. But, I think it's a waste. The FCR doesn't get wonky until 10+ weeks so you are depriving yourself of more quality chicken that you would get if you were patient. [​IMG]

4. steffanie3

steffanie3 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2008
    I am not trying to be impatient [​IMG]

I am just wondering if we could save the feed money and have chickens for roasting that are just right for a family dinner for us. I would do some later for bigger pieces like for frying and such.

5. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    i've found that the FRs (or red bro) were not too plump at 6wks. i sold mine whole back to a mexican family when they were 6 wks. i've seen cornish X at 4 weeks and they were much fatter than the 6wk FRs.

personally, if you want to process early and have something to feed your family, i would go with the cornish X. the FRs, i recommend you let them grow till 9 and really enjoy them.

6. paisleycj

paisleycj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Minnesota
    Quote:Where is JM hatchery? Do you happen to have a website for them? I keep reading about the Red Bro chickens, and I think I'd like to try them!

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    http://www.jmhatchery.com/

The
    owner, Joel Martin, posted here recently. He's very enthusiastic about his colored broilers and believes in the product.

8. paisleycj

paisleycj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Minnesota
    thanks for the info. [​IMG] Do the Red bro's have trouble with heat like the Cornish roasters? Would it be best to wait until fall to order them now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by