Processing cornish game hens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by BBUTTER, Mar 7, 2012.

1. BBUTTER

BBUTTER Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Louisiana
    I'm processing my first batch of Cornish game hens this Friday. 2 questions:

Shoukd I plan to pluck them by hand, or can I use the Whizbang? If I can use the Whizbang, how many should I put in at a time?

Is the water temp the same as broilers? I use Joel Salatin's suggestion of 145° for about 1 minute.

Okay, that was 3 questions!

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I'd use the plucker. It's hard to say how many to put in. I have an EZplucker and load it up with enough birds that it slows the motor a bit, but not too much. Without enough birds in there they whiz around too fast and get banged up. 145 degs is fine. I don't time it though, but rather test by pulling a wing feather or tail feather. When the feathers slip with little resistance the birds are ready to go for a spin.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    3 in the plucker at the same time seems to work really well. I haven't processed any small birds, so you might try a batch with 3 and then do a batch with 4 in the plucker and see which works better.

It's going to be affected by how fast you kill and bleed, because you definitely do not want them in the plucker after rigor starts to set in.

4. BBUTTER

Aug 16, 2011
    Louisiana
    4 worked great. I had heard of someone putting huge amounts in at a time, so that was my concern. They actually weren't all that much different than broilers! Scald temp was the same and everything. I'd venture to say they were actually easier than broilers.

5. kjxoxo1

kjxoxo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Just curious....at what week were they when you butchered? How much did they weigh? Thanks!!

6. BBUTTER

Aug 16, 2011
    Louisiana
    4 weeks-ish and around 1 1/2 lbs. I didn't pay much attention to the weight. I only weighed some of the bigger ones out of curiosity.

7. BBUTTER

Aug 16, 2011
    Louisiana
    1 1/2 lbs was the carcass weight. I didn't check live weight. I just went on the assurance of my husband: "I'm telling you, they're big enough. Quit worrying about it!" lol! :lol:

8. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    [​IMG]

Good to know. I have some growing out now. I'm thinking next week I may process some game hens. A few days ago I refered to them as grapefruits with legs. [​IMG] (they're bigger than that now)

9. BBUTTER

Aug 16, 2011
    Louisiana
    I JUST ate some! I halved them and cooked over indirect heat on a charcoal grill with just a little Tony Chachere's. SOOOO YUMMY!

10. kjxoxo1

kjxoxo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    WOW!! I think I am going to do the same this week. I ordered 50 and believe i receied them the week of February 3rd. They do look like grapefurit size some of them. Looks like most are roosters so I definitely dont want them too big. You have inspired me. Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by