processing ducks

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Blue Skys, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Blue Skys

Blue Skys Hi Mom!!

Nov 25, 2008
    Texas
    I didn't want to hijack anyone else's thread. But I've been thinking about getting a couple of ducks for meat. All the threads I see about processing them say to pluck the feathers. I was wondering if there is enough fat to skin them and still keep the meat protected and moist while cooking. I've never had duck but have heard they are very fatty...

(I can't find any place that has duck near me so I'm going to grow my own)

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We skin our ducks (Muscovies). The store bought ducks are very very fatty, home raised aren't nearly as fatty. The Muscovy are very lean and they will tend to dry out if you skin them and roast them. We started cutting ours up to save room in the freezer. make sausage from the leg 1/4's and giblets and you can cook the breasts many different ways.

Steve in NC

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    The ducks I've processed (around 8) were easier than I expected.
    They were young muscovies. Duck skin is so good I'd hate to waste
    it. I've never skinned them but I do skin my quail. Some added fat
    such as bacon while cooking is needed.

4. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    I just processed my ducks. They definitely had a nice layer of fat that was not present in the meat chickens I processed. The ducks, however, were given some cracked corn in addition to their feed. I only have access to chick starter, so that was what they ate.

One of the ducks I melted to skin off and we did skin that one but we have not cooked it. We will be eating one of the other tonight.

Steve - How did you peel the Giblets for the ducks. I felt they were definitely harder than the chickens. But man were they huge.

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I sliced it off, cut the gizzard in about 4 pieces and cut the inner layer off. I just posted some pics on the other duck thread of duck sausage and breasts

Steve

6. Blue Skys

Blue Skys Hi Mom!!

Nov 25, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:I do like good crunchy skin though... I think I'll start with just a couple of birds and skin one and pluck one to see which way I like best.

Oh, I can't wait I've never had duck but everyone says it's great!

Thanks everyone!

7. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    I just had my first taste of home raised ducks. I would say what a difference. The ducks we have bought from the store were greasy. As in they filled up the grease trap of my rotisserie. The home raised duck have very little grease. Although a piece of apple I placed in the duck fell out and roasted in the grease. I ate it. I didn't share. and it was magical. Like a party in my mouth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by