Processing FR's - $2.75 per lbs in a Freezer bag, no takers?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by remadl700, Nov 4, 2010.

1. remadl700

remadl700 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    oregon
    I thought that getting 50 FR's and processing them I would be able to sell 25 or so to pay for the expenses...but I have had very little response on craigslist and other add's. ItÂ’s not going to break me but I thought there would be more activity than just the occasional question. I don't believe my price is too high after asking BYC peeps I brought it down from $3.00 per lbs and I am giving a discount if they purchase more than 10 of $.25 per lbs.

Also..

I will be processing 11 Muscovy ducks, what should I be charging per lbs processed on these guys? I have $75 wrapped up in 16 Muscovies. I am keeping 3 hens and 1 drake. I had one mortality.

Please let me know your thoughts.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I think your priice is right, where are you in Oregon? also a lot depends on your marketing, remember people get college degrees specializing in just that. PM me a copy of your CL ad and I will help you write one if you would like.

3. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    You need to post in a big city on CL. Don't go with your local town as most people will not be willing to pay those prices. I know Oregon and I know that they get way more than $2.75 / pound. If your able, it might be wise to set up a buyers club in a possibly Portland or a closer city to you. I think once you get established you will be surprised at how fast you will be going through chickens. Be patient, it doesn't happen overnight.

4. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    I agree w/ what has already been said also if you are near a Trader Joe's, Whole Foods or other similar type of market put an add up there.

5. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Why oh why can't you be in Maryland? I would LOVE to be able to buy farm fresh Muscovy and FR (whatever bird that is). [​IMG]

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    sent PM with new ad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by