1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Processing in NorthEast Ohio?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Ewe Mama2, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Ewe Mama2

Ewe Mama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Northeastern Ohio
    Hi all
    I'm considering raising some meat birds, but I KNOW I don't have the stomach to "do the deed" and process them myself. (The Good Lord blessed me with a wonderful husband who barely knows one end of a chicken from the other, so I won't even consider asking him!) I am trying to find an individual who would be interested in being hired for the work (killing to cleaning and plucking and whatever else is involved!) Also, a price quote of what to expect per bird, would be wonderful. We live in Oberlin, OH. If you know of someone, please point me in the right direction. I so appreciate your help. [​IMG]

2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Well a lot of the processors around here have went out of buisness but maybe later in the year I could help you out. We charge anywhere from $3.00-$4.00 / bird depending on what you want done. As of right now I'm swamped with other work and trying to get another farm established so not for a while... possibly in the fall.

Keep looking though as you may come accross someone before then. Where exactly is Oberlin? Is it close to the corner towards PA? I'm in Akron.

3. Ewe Mama2

Ewe Mama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Northeastern Ohio
    Thanks for your reply. Oberlin is about 30 min west of Cleveland, near LaGrange, Grafton, Kipton (I don't know if you recognize any of those towns or not). Oberlin is a college town. It would probably be a 40+ minute drive from Akron, but I could be way off. I would appreciate any suggestions/help you could throw my way!

I was planning on raising the birds for fall butchering, but I don't want to get stuck with them if I don't find someone to do the processing. It sounds as though you are pretty busy, but I would appreciate it if you could keep in touch and maybe we could figure something out in couple months. Thanks again for your response.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by