Processing meaties tomorrow, do I need to ....

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by momofchicks, Oct 26, 2008.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    leave them in the frig for a day or two? We processed a RIR and an EE and we left them in the frig for a day before freezing to help with tenderness and so forth. Do I need to do that with these Cornish Cross or can we put them straight in the freezer? We are having them processed at a USDA facility and they will vacuum pack them.

Thanks

2. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    I havent done any meat birds except turkeys but from all I read on here most people do refrigerate for a day or 2. good luck.

3. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    Everyone says to do this. I've followed the advice each time, so I don't know what would happen if I didn't.

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    it's always a good idea to age them in the fridge before freezing... how long, though, is up to debate

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    hi, until just now I had never heard of aging birds..

we have been cleaning them and sticking them right into the freezer for 40 years..

I do not know how we would refrigerate 100 to 200 chickens

when you put that many into a freezer it takes a couple of days for them to freeze, I suppose that would count as aging..

6. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I had always wondered how folks managed to refrigerate a whole bunch of processed birds before freezing unless they had a separate frig just for that purpose. I have enough trouble finding room in my frig for eggs.

Wow, Jvls..... how big a freezer does it take to put 200 chickens in?
    Do you chill the birds in an ice bath before freezing?

Chel

7. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    we have 2 refrigerators in our kitchen, and have four freezers scattered throughout the house

we do not do 200 chickens at a time anymore, since the kids all left the nest.. we do about 100 per year and break that up into several batches. this number also includes ducks, geese and turkeys..

we do not freeze them whole..
    we cut them into pieces..takes a lot less space in the freezer.

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    If you freeze them too soon, you are eating rigor mortis. If you let them chill a day, they will relax and you will also have less water content. The lower the water content, they better they freeze and the flavor holds longer. Ice crystals destroy texture.

9. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

I prefreeze milk jugs (water) and throw my chickens in my huge beer cooler for a night prior to vacuum packing and freezing.

10. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    now you got me thinking..

the next batch of chickens is going in november.. probably 20 to 30 of them.. I think I will try that refrigeration bit.. I can just leave them in the garage in coolers for a couple of days..
    It should be similar to a refrigerator by then..

........jiminwisc..........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by