1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Processing multiple birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Alwayswantchics, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Alwayswantchics

Alwayswantchics Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Phelan, CA
    Gonna cull my older flock in March, when my new girls start laying. What is the best way to do this fast? Kill, pluck , gut, cut each one seperate or kill all togetherness, then pluck, then gut, and then seperate? This will only be the second time I will kill anyc of my birds.

2. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    I do it in small groups. One time I got in over my head with too many birds I had partway done that I HAD to finish. My hands hurt at the end of that. So now I take maybe 3 at a time through the whole process, then repeat with another group.

3. Alwayswantchics

Apr 6, 2012
    Phelan, CA
    I get that, but should I kill them together then process or kill and process them one by one.

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We kill six at a time but we also have a tub plucker and at least two people. If I were doing things completely alone and by hand, I would kill them one at a time.

5. SJ

SJ Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I use the small batch method as well. I select about 6 bird the night before buthering and seperate them to a cage with no access to food or water. By morning they should have empty crops and intestines which I find makes the processing go easier.

1.Come morning I start heating the scalding water. 5 minutes
    (I use a canning pot ontop of a propane burning turkey deep frying stand)

2.After that I make 1 stringer for each bird. 1 minute per stringer
    (A stringer is a length of butchers twine with a loop tied on both ends used to hang a chicken upside down by the ankles.)

3.Once I have stringers made I dispatch all the birds one after the other. 3-5 minutes per bird
    (The scald water should now be hot.)

4.Going in the same order as they died so that each bird has ample time to bleed out I then scald, pluck (by hand), and "bathe" each plucked bird. 5-7 minutes per bird
    (Bathing is when the PLUCKED bird is soaked in a tub or barrel filled with COLD water. The colder the water the better. This keeps the scalded skin from drying out while I pluck the other birds as well as assists in chilling the bird.)

5.From here on I finish one bird at a time. 7-10 minutes per bird
    -Remove Head
    -Remove Feet
    -Cut the neck skin from base between the shoulders to the end of the neck.
    -Loosen the crop and wind pipe from the skin and neck.(The neck skin should look like an apron or bib.)
    -Gut the bird. (I start by cutting right under the tail at the tails base then working my way around the vent.)
    -Rinse the whole bird inside and out.
    -Bag
    -Freeze

6. SJ

Oct 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Oh yeah im doing this alone.

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If you are doing older layers and you've never plucked by hand before, I would recommend killing just one to start and seeing how long it takes you to get it on ice. I think the first bird I ever did took me about 20 minutes to pluck. Getting it properly scalded is key. Just like anything else, the more practice you get, the more efficient you will be.

8. SJ

Oct 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Well said Potter.

9. Alwayswantchics

Apr 6, 2012
    Phelan, CA
    Appreciate all the advice. Thanks very much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by