processing my dp birds/question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by cultivar, Feb 5, 2013.

1. cultivar

cultivar New Egg

Dec 4, 2012
    i have dark indian game/ dark cornish which i have line bred and selected for size/growth to be the sire line for some of my own meat birds, i plan on putting him with a variety of hens this year which have also been bred and selected for size/growth, orp's and jg's and a few cobb broiler hens which have been on a restricted diet, my problem is that i have just processed some of his offspring which were pb dark cornish they were good size etc, but i had hoped to pluck them and to my dismay i found them extremly hard to pluck even do i was submerging them in hot water 160deg, i ended up skinning them, compared to any bird i have plucked before these were impossible to pluck and i have done many, i 'm wondering will the crossbred offspring inherit this problem or could it be caused from anything else, has anyone else ever encountered anything like this?, i dont expect a dark feathered bird to pluck as clean as a white feathered but it would be nice to be able to leave the skin on

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Sorry I can't help. That is odd though that even in the hot water bath and they are still hard to pluck. I hope someone comes along with an answer. Good luck. :)

3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    What specific problem were you having with the plucking? feathers wouldn't come out, skin ripping, too many pin feathers or what?
    It sounds like you have experience with the butchering process so may be with more specific info about the problem someone on here can help you find a solution.

4. cultivar

cultivar New Egg

Dec 4, 2012
    sorry should have explained better, the feathers seem so hard to pluck that even plucking one or two feathers was so hard it caused ripping and the skin seems pretty firm, the hot water bath didnt seem to improve things enough for them to be plucked clean enough for it to be worth my while, i processed a few other breeds at the same time and didnt have this problem and most were reared ,fed and housed together and all the same age

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by