Processing my turkey

Theoverseer

In the Brooder
Nov 18, 2017
Hey folks,
This morning I decided to process my turkey (first time for me) and I accidentally cut the crop, which was full. I emptied the crop and pulled it out from the front and then immediately cut the back side to pull the guts.
I'm pretty sure some of the food that was in the crop, got into the cavity. Once I got all the internals out, I rinsed out the cavity.
Did I ruin the turkey by doing this or am I good to eat it?
Thanks

Hey folks,
This morning I decided to process my turkey (first time for me) and I accidentally cut the crop, which was full. I emptied the crop and pulled it out from the front and then immediately cut the back side to pull the guts.
I'm pretty sure some of the food that was in the crop, got into the cavity. Once I got all the internals out, I rinsed out the cavity.
Did I ruin the turkey by doing this or am I good to eat it?
Thanks
Just rinse it out really well. Your first time job is still probably 1000 times cleaner than what happens at a processing plant!

I put it in the refrigerator immediately after rinsing it out. Should I have put it in the freezer?
It was 37 degrees fahrenheit outside when I processed it.
The bird's body temp is over 100, the bigger it is the longer it takes in the frig. I like to use cooler with clean water and ice to get the bird cool the fastest. Some even use brine. It is really to late to freeze before thanksgiving.

Or not, depending on how many turkeys you've eaten! You just want to cool it below 40 to keep any residual germs from multiplying and spoiling your meat. Under 40 they stop growing. lots of clean water in a cooler with ice. I treat it like I would a nice big fish!

It looks like I might have screwed up then...been in the fridge since 10:30 this morning (almost 3 hours).

Back
Top Bottom