Processing Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by KrysKritters, Sep 14, 2016.

1. KrysKritters

KrysKritters New Egg

May 8, 2010
    Ok, I know those of you that have done this and are experienced will giggle but scissors? Really? Is that really the most effective. humane way to process a quail?

I just don't know if I can do it... I've never killed anything in my life. [​IMG]

2. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I use the kitchen shear method. They are part of my butcher block set but they look like the bigger one in this set. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...pose-scissors-set/1040809816?categoryId=12895

I have now done it three times. This is the only method I have used. It's certainly not a fun process but you do gain a certain sense of accomplishment in raising and butchering your own meat. I have also never butchered anything before the quail and I was hesitant. Lots of folks, including my own mother, said they didn't think I could do it but I did. You just have to prepare yourself. I actually wrote a post after my first butchering of some things I wish I had known before. You can check it out. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1114671/things-i-wish-i-knew-before-my-first-butchering

3. Strummer

Strummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Edna tx
    I just pull their head off .

4. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    There are only so many humane methods. You need to review them and go with the one that you are most comfortable with and offers you the most control. Nothing worse than getting it wrong and having to finish it. Make sure that if you use knife or shears that they are sharp and up for the task. And if you yank the head off make sure your grip, strength and resolve are up for the task.

I wonder if a scale guillotine would be morbid?

5. jojackc

jojackc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2016
    I have hunted Quail for years and many times you hit a Quail so they can't fly or run, but are still alive. My father always taught run to them quickly and step on there heads and pull on their body's. As cruel as this sounds it was the best for them. They where shot and sure to die. So end their life as soon as possible. I keep with that today. Once I get to enough quail to start eating lol. I will pluck out the ones I am going to eat and simple twist off their heads. Once again it seems cruel but its not. Its a fast death. Think about what it would go threw if a fox or raccoon got a hold of it it would be a much worst death.

6. Oreo quail

Oreo quail Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2016
    Central Virginia
    I tried cutting the head with scissors initially. Any kill is morbid but maybe I saw too much. Wringing their necks although more hands on seemed less traumatic. Maybe by covering their eyes for the few seconds before the kill helped them settle down.

My setup: bucket with garbage bag lining it.
    Chair.
    Rubber gloves
    Scissors.
    Fresh water for rinsing
    Ice bath prior to storage or further prep

1. Hold the bird and cover head and eyes with my fist.
    2. Twist head off and put in bucket
    3. Drain blood into bucket
    4. Pluck feathers
    5. Cut around vent and pull entrails out
    6. Reach near neck and get crop and other entrails out
    7. place on ice

7. Everlong

Everlong Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2016
    Mississauga, Ontario
    how many do you guys eat per one sitting? per person?

8. lomine

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Everything I've read says two per person for a main meal or one for appetizers but one is enough for me for dinner.

9. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    5 was enough to prepare quail fajitas for 5 people. You have to take into account the size of the bird and the appetite of the person. Culled small birds can be almost half the standing weight of a good jumbo and teenage boys have an additional stomach in their left leg.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  10. lomine

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Quail fajitas!? Sounds delicious. Do you have a recipe or do you just cook with typical fajita spices and shred the meat?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by