processing questions

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by holderh, Jan 31, 2013.

1. holderh

holderh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    We are about to process some roosters we have. This will be the first time for us. I have read about needing the meat to rest in the refrigerator for a couple of days....does it need to be a refrigerator? We don't have the room. I have read some people make a ice bath and leave them in a tote in there garage is that safe? Also how long does it need to rest?

Also, I had to worm my layers so I was keeping these roosters separate. However, we had severe thunderstorm and the wind ripped the netting of the pens that was keeping them separated so they might have gotten Into the feed with wormer in it. If they did it wasn't much and it was only one day. Is it safe to eat the meat or should we wait go process? We really need to do this now as we have waited too long as is and some are ganging up on my hens so they got to go.

Thanks so much!

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I have always read three days rest is needed. I have not tried it but have heard some people on here who process a lot of birds at once will do bags of ice in coolers. I believe you will need to regularly replenish the ice. Might want to look in the meat bird thread?

3. holderh

Oct 13, 2011
    Thnks!.....do you think a big tote would be ok instead of a cooler as long as its kept full of ice? Our garage isn't heated and its been in the thirties so surely it will work....

Do some of you not rest it at all?

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    The first bird I processed I did not rest and it was horrible. The actual taste was okish but it had the texture of squid or clams. Super super chewy. I would definitely let it rest for a full three day period then eat or freeze right after that.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  5. holderh

Oct 13, 2011
    Ok thanks! Yes these are a little older too so I'm sure they will need it.

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I would rest them but if you are pretty certain that they got into the meds, I'd wait for the withdrawl period stated on the med until processing them. There are reasons that there is a withdrawl period.

It is up to you. You and your family will be eating them but I would certainly not prepare or give this meat to anyone else unless you wait the withdrawl time.

7. holderh

Oct 13, 2011
    thanks! No I'm not sure they got any but if they did it wasn't much....I called my vet to be sure and he said there wad no withdrawal for the eggs so the meats fine....

8. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Some people have posted in the past that they freeze their bird right after processing and then rest for three days when thawing to cook. But I don't know how well the rigo passes after freezing because I have never tried it that way.

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH

The tote will be just fine as long as you refresh the ice as needed. I have always rested my birds before freezing because sometimes we give them away so I don't want to have to tell my friends to let the birds rest before the cook it. They wouldn't understand. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by