Processing Rabbits

pintail_drake2004

Songster
6 Years
Jun 12, 2017
IL
I sold most of the litters for breeders and a few pets, so I have didn't that many to butcher. I had a buyer lined up for the pelts, but they backed out. Time for some rabbit and dumplings!
Prime young Rex
Butchering Rex.jpg

Nice winter Rex pelts (2 castor, 3 white rex) and 1 NZW
Rex pelts.jpg

Pot full of fresh meat
Rabbit in pot.jpg

Packaged and ready for pick up
packaged rabbit.jpg

I use to take live weights of of each rabbit before I process. With rex, I do 12 weeks or 5# which ever comes first (for the ones that do not sell). The NZW I raise hit weight at 9 weeks 3 days. I know approximately when my rabbits will hit weight from experience with my system. I don't care what people read or say, NZW will not hit 5# at 8 weeks unless they are under closely monitored, lab like conditions. I have bred my rabbits for large litters and quick grow outs.

I use to take live weights of of each rabbit before I process. With rex, I do 12 weeks or 5# which ever comes first (for the ones that do not sell). The NZW I raise hit weight at 9 weeks 3 days. I know approximately when my rabbits will hit weight from experience with my system. I don't care what people read or say, NZW will not hit 5# at 8 weeks unless they are under closely monitored, lab like conditions. I have bred my rabbits for large litters and quick grow outs.
I agree, it took us about 12 weeks to get 5lbs for our 4h market class

Fasted growing rabbits I ever had was from an oops on my part.

I had a litter of Champagne/Silver Fox cross. They were ready to process, but we were in a long cold snap, so I just separated boys and girls into two grow out pens. I had a freezer full anyway, so figured I would grind and/or can these ones and wasn't too worried about their age.

At about 17 weeks I finally got around to butchering. Processed the boys first and moved on to the girls. First "girl" I pulled out was a boy. Oops. Checked the other three (real) girls and two were prego. One had them on the wire, and the other successfully had nine kits. They reached 5 lbs at 8 weeks, 2 days.

I didn't repeat the sister brother breeding, but I did keep the doe. None of her other litters got so big so fast, but she continued to be a reliable doe, never had fewer than eight kits, and only lost two kits total out of five litters.

I sold most of the litters for breeders and a few pets, so I have didn't that many to butcher. I had a buyer lined up for the pelts, but they backed out. Time for some rabbit and dumplings!
Prime young Rex
View attachment 2501239

Nice winter Rex pelts (2 castor, 3 white rex) and 1 NZW
View attachment 2501240.

Pot full of fresh meat
View attachment 2501241

Packaged and ready for pick up
View attachment 2501242
That makes my mouth water. I miss raising meat rabbits. Next year...

looks very good,

i don't raise rabbits, just hunt them.

but what do you do with the pelts? as a trapper i feel like am wasting them by just tossing.

Back
Top Bottom