processing rabbits

pintail_drake2004

Songster
6 Years
Jun 12, 2017
IL
Its been a busy season for us, between work, side job, farming, garden, etc. Just seems like I don't have enough hours in the day. I finally made time to process around 30 rabbits. We typically process at 12 weeks or 5 lb live weight. However, I decided to let these 2 batches go to 16 weeks to check form and quality. A couple had potential, and were kept back or sold. Others reaffirmed my suspicion, and were sent to the cull cage. Either way, they make great freezer fillers.

Good quality fur, and decent form. We kept the best, and culled the rest.
full-665-151290-pelts_1.jpg

Sometimes, both parents pass on their worst traits. This litter was born 2 days after the litter above, from parents that showed potential. Sometimes, a pair isn't a good match. This is why we keep detailed records.
full-665-151291-pelts_2.jpg

16 week processed rex.
full-665-151292-processed_1.jpg

Again, genetics will affect growth rate too. This 2nd litter pictured, same age as the litter above.
full-665-151293-processed_2.jpg

Thanks for sharing. They look great! I've been interested in keeping meat rabbits but I'm currently taking on too many new projects to start a new one. But I'm also interested in the furs. What uses do you have for them at home? Are they easy to process for use? Also, can you use the furs from the meat breeds that are ready in 8 weeks, or do you have to use a different breed that you grow out for longer?

Sorry for lots of questions but you seem experienced and I would love to learn a few things from you if you're willing.

The pelts are not difficult to process. I have tanned many over the years. I don't do much anymore, as I typically have a buyer lined up for them raw. I prefer 12-16 week old grow-outs if the pelt is going to be used, otherwise the skin is just too thin.

Its been a busy season for us, between work, side job, farming, garden, etc. Just seems like I don't have enough hours in the day. I finally made time to process around 30 rabbits. We typically process at 12 weeks or 5 lb live weight. However, I decided to let these 2 batches go to 16 weeks to check form and quality. A couple had potential, and were kept back or sold. Others reaffirmed my suspicion, and were sent to the cull cage. Either way, they make great freezer fillers.

Good quality fur, and decent form. We kept the best, and culled the rest.
full-665-151290-pelts_1.jpg

Sometimes, both parents pass on their worst traits. This litter was born 2 days after the litter above, from parents that showed potential. Sometimes, a pair isn't a good match. This is why we keep detailed records.
full-665-151291-pelts_2.jpg

16 week processed rex.
full-665-151292-processed_1.jpg

Again, genetics will affect growth rate too. This 2nd litter pictured, same age as the litter above.
full-665-151293-processed_2.jpg
Can I see what one or two of your bunnies look like while they're alive? Those fur patterns are neat looking to me.

The pelts are not difficult to process. I have tanned many over the years. I don't do much anymore, as I typically have a buyer lined up for them raw. I prefer 12-16 week old grow-outs if the pelt is going to be used, otherwise the skin is just too thin.
Oh I thought they were very hard to process. I would be interested in learning to tan rabbit pelts. And perhaps deer pelts but I would assume the deer pelts would be harder to tan.

I have never had rabbit meat what does it taste like? I would like to try it someday but I dont think I would be able to kill a rabbit myself lol

I have never had rabbit meat what does it taste like? I would like to try it someday but I dont think I would be able to kill a rabbit myself lol
depends on if you have domestic rabbit, or wild rabbit (or hares)

the few domestic rabbits i have eaten taste like a good home grown chicken .

wild is just as good i like snow shoe hares.

Back
Top Bottom