Processing today!!! first timer tips?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ticks, Apr 4, 2009.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    This is my first attempt at processing, we are doing 2 ducks and a rooster (all 3 are evil)

We are dry plucking them, which will take a while.

Any tips/advice for a first timer?

Thanks.

2. Pollo Posada

Pollo Posada Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    Mount Airy, MD
    Good luck! You are braver than I am. Never done it, let us all know how it goes! I am too CHICKEN to do it myself!

3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Make sure you get a good scald on them, otherwise the feathers are very difficult to remove. The book says about 145 degrees. You should be able to dip your finger in without getting burned, but not be able to keep it in for over a second or so without getting burned. It is helpful to put a few drops of liquid detergent in the water. Dunk for a minute or two. The object is to dunk them long enough to loosen the feathers but not so long as to cook the skin.

If I were you I would go onto www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Butchering-Plucking.html. We have some Cornish about ready to be processed, and since everyone else seems to have other obligations I think I am going to end up doing it all by myself. Good luck and I will be thinking about you.

4. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    good luck! remember that this is a task... try not to get overwhelmed. we had rooster day a couple weeks ago and aside from the initial... um... dispatch the whole thing is very very interesting. that was our 3rd time dressing our poulty

a few tips:

* make sure the water temp is appropriate for the bird - this makes the plucking easier...and its ok to dip again once you get started
    * have all of your tools ready including your water source - we found it takes more water than you think
    * have lots of papertowels on hand - and a trash bag or whatever for the feathers
    * make sure the other poultry is locked up - or they will 'help' you
    * take your time
    * your arms may be tired at days end
    * after reading the instructions (from themodernhomestead) about a million times i still had to print them out to do things in the right order
    * have whatever method ready for chilling - including having the fridge cleaned out.

our big thing is to practice thanksgiving and gratitude - makes it easier if you are feeling a bit squeamish

you'll do great!!! let us know how it goes - and oh the good eatin'! i just had a lovely chicken sandwich... made the broth all nite last nite and will have risotto later.

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Quote:I don't think you scald when Dry plucking.

Make sure let them bleed out for several minutes before moving starting the rest.

A good sharp knife with a sharpening stone is your best friend during the entire process.

Matt

6. I have heard that ducks have strong necks, be ready for that if you're taking the heads off... Might be tougher than you think.

7. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Quote:I don't think you scald when Dry plucking.

Make sure let them bleed out for several minutes before moving starting the rest.

A good sharp knife with a sharpening stone is your best friend during the entire process.

Matt

You are right. You don't scald when dry picking. But don't you have to pith them to dry pick? And don't you have to know what you are doing to do it right? My grandmother did and she could dry pick a chicken clean in two minutes flat. I watched her many times. Unfortunately I was very little and I never learned how. I have never been brave enough to try it myself.....

8. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    WE have them plucked, dry plucking was hard so we just skinned them. WE are in warming up now. [​IMG]

9. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    The best tip I ever got was from Jaku...... Get the metal glove from a fishing store to save your knuckles

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by