Processor in Michigan UPDATED 9/17/08

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by LauraSBale, Sep 5, 2008.

1. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

:)is there any one around the Fenton area that processes chickens.?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  2. gotchooks?

gotchooks? Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Fowlerville Poultry Processing - 517-223-4431

I've never taken any in for processing, but I'm told they charge $2 per chicken.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  3. LauraSBale

Great
    Thanks for the #

4. LauraSBale

they go in on Friday,
    Chicken Dinner on Sunday!!!!

5. gotchooks?

gotchooks? Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    That's great! Let me know how they work out for you. I haven't gotten into the meat bird thing...yet. Stll trying to bring my Dh around to my way of thinking, but he's afraid I'll get attached and we'll have even MORE chickens! What kind of birds are you taking in?

I tried to tell him that by the time they're ready to be processed, they're stinky, messy, and you can't wait to drop them off...I hope. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Good Luck!

6. UncleHoot

UncleHoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    St. Johns, Michigan
    Even my (then 8 year old) daughter didn't attached to the meat chickens. They stop being cute at 2 weeks of age. By 6 weeks, they look like large balls of meat. ;-)

EDIT:
    As far as processors, the closer the better. Talk to some farmers in your area. Find someone with a "fresh eggs" sign, and they can probably point out someone fairly close to you. I'm lucky in that my processor is only about 6 miles from me.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  7. LauraSBale

gotchooks? :

I tried to tell him that by the time they're ready to be processed, they're stinky, messy, and you can't wait to drop them off...I hope. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Good Luck!

[​IMG] I was worried i would not be able to do them in. But I'm so tired of cleaning them, plus we have 20 more that are almost 2 weeks old.

to me its worth it to pay 2.00 a bird and when you get them back you don't know who's who. [​IMG]
    i feel this way it wont bother me so bad. it will be like i went to the meat market and picked up Chickens [​IMG], but mine and better.

it doesn't bother my daughters either, they say the same thing there stinky!!!! [​IMG]

I will let you know how every thing goes, and there not far from me.​

8. LauraSBale

We took them to Fowlerville Poultry Processing.
    they came out great, [​IMG]
    they weighed 6 to 9 lbs each after processing.
    we had one for dinner yesterday, and my husband says, OH thats what chicken taste like [​IMG]

it was 2.00 a bird plus % for disposal, so it was about 2.40 a bird, it was well worth it.

they were all nice and cleaned and in a heavy plastic bag.

Thanks GotChooks for the info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by