Prodigal baby chicken returns !!! Miracle!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kimboolah, Oct 11, 2009.

1. kimboolah

kimboolah Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a mixed bag of layers, who are about 6 months old now. In August I added 8 EE's. They live in the coop in a section that is fenced off because integration has been a problem. So, my daily routine is to let the big girls out to free range, and let the little ones out into the pen for a bit.

On Friday, everyone was out in the yard, and I decided maybe the babies were old enough to go out in the yard--about one hour later, i went to round them up and we couldn't find two of them. All hands on deck search commenced and we located on tucked away in a strange place, but safe. We searched and searched for the other one and finally gave up. Saturday morning it was 25 degrees here and snowing, and I gave up all hope of her return. My son was soooo upset.

Fast forward to today, Sunday. He was out changing out the water and feeding the birds--big ones were out in the yard, baby ones kept inside because of the cold. I looked out and there was a baby standing in the yard! I yelled for him to quick, count the babies, he yelled SEVEN! I yelled "LOOK!". He bent down and the baby ran to him.

Amazing. We don't know where she was, but she is a smart little chook. No damage (I was worried about frostbite), and starving hungry and thirsty.

YAY! A Sunday Miracle!

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL, ok well, all of nature is a miracle isn't it, so I'll agree! Chooks have been managing out and about for hundreds... heh, make that thousands of years, so it's all good!

So happy for you and your son that the little one returned home. Lets hope she learned a valuable lesson, and that it isn't that it's fun to roost in trees at night. Honestly though, she probably got too far away and it got too dark for her to get back safely. She'll probably hang closer to her sisters now. [​IMG] glad she got home!

3. kimboolah

kimboolah Chillin' With My Peeps

You mean my spoiled little egg machines could survive without me?!!??

We are just happy that she is safe and sound. The not knowing where she was, was the worst part of it all.

Lesson learned. [​IMG]

4. tara7815

tara7815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    that is awesome!

I have a similar story - we lost a guinea pig in our woods. Showed up 2 weeks later .. completely unharmed!

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Well, they probably -could- survive, but it's not a pretty picture at all HOW they'd look and feel, and how short and difficult their lives would be before they became dinner for predators... I totally get how upsetting it is to lose any of your SLEMs (spoiled little egg machines.) I'd have been worried too!

6. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] happy to hear the chick is back home!!!

7. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] She is home!

I am sure your son was so-o-o very happy. [​IMG]

What an adventure I am sure she had. I wonder if the rest of the bunch believe her story.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I'm glad you found her. It is a miracle... [​IMG]

9. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:Once upon a time, out chickens spent maybe 3 days with our friends, who also have chickens. At night, they couldn't find one. They called, and we were pretty bummed. The next day, they went looking again, and guess where she was? Perched up in a tree like a fat little dove. [​IMG] They had Orpingtons, or that's what they looked like-fat yellow things with fluffy butts. Mine was a Leghorn, so I guess they didn't know chickens could fly. [​IMG][​IMG]

10. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Wow! Congrats on finding her! That is amazing! I had something similar happen with some guinea babies. Those babies can be really sneaky! [​IMG] I bet she doesn't wander off again! My guinea babies didn't! [​IMG]

Shelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by