Produce stand with chicks and eggs

kristilane

Songster
8 Years
Dec 2, 2014
Marianna, FL
Hi everyone! I have a produce stand and want to have chicks for customers to view and feed while at my stand. My thoughts are to have a tractor but Ive not completely decided on how to "display" the chickens. Another stand that has chickens for customers to interact with has a coop in the distance and the chickens roam free, returning to the coop at night. That stand is not on a highway but my stand is along a busy highway so I definitely do not want the chickens to get hurt/killed in the highway....so a coop/tractor seems the best option. What do you think?
What would you do?
I would harvest the eggs and sell them at the stand. I've been in contact with my state for all to be legal :)

Hi everyone! I have a produce stand and want to have chicks for customers to view and feed while at my stand. My thoughts are to have a tractor but Ive not completely decided on how to "display" the chickens. Another stand that has chickens for customers to interact with has a coop in the distance and the chickens roam free, returning to the coop at night. That stand is not on a highway but my stand is along a busy highway so I definitely do not want the chickens to get hurt/killed in the highway....so a coop/tractor seems the best option. What do you think?
What would you do?
I would harvest the eggs and sell them at the stand. I've been in contact with my state for all to be legal :)

Sounds reasonable and cute to me. The tractor would be safe and you could move it around each time for fresh lawn space. I would put feed in Dixie cups to feed the chicks. Kids and families eat this up. You could make that their feeding portion for the day so they are not binging on unhealthy snacks all day. They can forage or rest. I would leave tractor partly shaded unless bad weather then full. Maybe tarp it so can adjust amount of shade.

At our little farmers market one day located at our local walking mall in the parking lot, one of the farmers brought their duck so cute! Major attraction! Gets the people in. Just had shade from her truck backed up to shade cloth stand. Happy with food and water. Stayed right beside her the whole day. Nice to all the customers. Allowed petting, such a show stopper. :):p

What would you do?

The other thought I had is just put out a play pen for animals with gate. One that is easy to set up and take down. Depends if setting up every day. This way people can pet and feed more easily over the top or step in if you allow. Would have to think of way to provide shade as needed maybe near a tree if have one. If not Cover half. Good Luck! :):hmm

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. I wish you the best of luck with your venture.

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 (there's a guide on how to include your location under your avatar, which will be helpful). You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

I like to err on the side of caution and would worry about chicks being handled/dropped or escaping in the street. At the least it could wear the chicks out if there are alot of lookers/holders.

Welcome to Backyard chickens

That is my concern also....I think I'd rather chicks be contained, fed and petted through a fence. I am able to have more of a controlled situation that way.

Back
Top Bottom