Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No extra paint

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CrazyCrevecoeur

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2022
My questions is: does the Producer’s Pride Sentinel XL coop come pre-treated/varnished, or do you have to paint it with your own coat of paint? Thanks if anybody responds, need to find out and don’t want to waste time on extra work if not needed (I also like the color of the coop already.) I’ve painted coops before and it sure takes a while. Not to mention letting it air out.

As for your question: I don't think it'll need to be painted.

For this coop, a couple modifications would need to be made:
Add LOTS more ventilation
I can't quite tell from the pictures I found online, but it looks like they'd poop right into the nesting boxes. Chickens also like to lay in a dark area-it looks like it has a lot of natural light coming down on the nesting boxes.

However, have you already purchased it? If not, I would HIGHLY recommend converting a shed/building your own coop. These coops are just so expensive and poor quality, with being TINY, lacking adequate ventilation, and a whole heap of other problems.

How many chickens do you have/want?
I can't tell how large the coop part is, but I would say 2-6 chickens, MAX. I can't see the exact dimensions though.

As for your question: I don't think it'll need to be painted.

For this coop, a couple modifications would need to be made:
Add LOTS more ventilation
I can't quite tell from the pictures I found online, but it looks like they'd poop right into the nesting boxes. Chickens also like to lay in a dark area-it looks like it has a lot of natural light coming down on the nesting boxes.

However, have you already purchased it? If not, I would HIGHLY recommend converting a shed/building your own coop. These coops are just so expensive and poor quality, with being TINY, lacking adequate ventilation, and a whole heap of other problems.

How many chickens do you have/want?
I can't tell how large the coop part is, but I would say 2-6 chickens, MAX. I can't see the exact dimensions though.
It doesn't specify coop length/width but the run can hold 3 hens, max (it's approx. 6 by 5-30sqft total-general guideline is 10ft per hen (absolute MINIMUM) so 3 hens total.

My questions is: does the Producer’s Pride Sentinel XL coop come pre-treated/varnished, or do you have to paint it with your own coat of paint? Thanks if anybody responds, need to find out and don’t want to waste time on extra work if not needed (I also like the color of the coop already.) I’ve painted coops before and it sure takes a while. Not to mention letting it air out.
I bought the exact same coop. Decided to buy a clear wood preservative so my painting doesn't have to be precise and won't worry about getting anything on the metal. I also purchased two 4x8 sheets of food grade plastic and the proper adhesive caulk to put on the floor and part way up the sides. The reviews seemed most people were pleased with it except the roost bars over the nests and nests being open on top. I saw some creative improvements for that issue including slipping a piece of pvc pipe on the roost bar just above the boxes so the birds won't roost there (spins). I also saw someone remove the dividers and secure 2 totes with large holes cut on each side. Mine is not assembled yet so I will clear coat everything, apply plastic sheets to floor and walls, replace plexiglass windows with hardware cloth and save the plexi to put on when weather is cold. I will likely cut additional ventilation and add solar powered fans.
There seems to be a general concensus that pre fab coops are not good. I feel this was the best one out there for people with either no skills, no tools, or no time.

We painted ours and added caulk to area where wood meets metal I need to figure out how to add some ventilatio. Anyone have any suggestions or examples of how you modified your TSC coop?

Attachments

• 57CE0CBC-9416-48B6-88DD-60FD57647B12.jpeg
    57CE0CBC-9416-48B6-88DD-60FD57647B12.jpeg
    326.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 5E739858-95BA-4266-9AFB-8429A6B79D9B.jpeg
    5E739858-95BA-4266-9AFB-8429A6B79D9B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
We painted ours and added caulk to area where wood meets metal I need to figure out how to add some ventilatio. Anyone have any suggestions or examples of how you modified your TSC coop?
I used one of the circular drill attachments to cut holes out then covered the holes with hardware cloth. I also made my own ladder style roost bar so there’s two instead of 1 and poop doesn’t get in the nesting boxes

Back
Top Bottom