Producer's Co-op Layer Feed

sbarab

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Conroe, TX
Anyone using Producer's Co-Op layer feed? Producer's Co-Op is located in Bryan, TX.

I have been having problems w/ my hens not laying. I have 22 hens and only 1 has been laying since mid December. Other chicken owners in the area have not been reporting a drop in egg production. I have been feeding Layena and just wormed the gals with Wazine 2 weeks ago. No signs of mites, only 1 hen is molting. Hens are under lights. I have been paying $12.50 - $13.50/bag for Layena from Conroe local feed stores & from TSC. I was just told by my feed store that Purina upped the dealer cost on Layena so that means higher prices for me.

I picked up some hatching eggs from pasofinofarm and none of her hens have dropped off the laying wagon. I asked her what she feeds. Producer's Co-Op.

I talked to a guy whose kids raise broilers for the local fair. Guess what his broilers eat? Producer's Co-Op.

Bryan is about a 65 mile drive one way from me, but yesterday I had to goto a bridal shower in Bryan so I stopped in at the Co-Op. I have to say it is the biggest feed/farm store that I have ever been to. They make the feed on site. Their layer feed is 18% protein (Layena is 16%). Their feed is pretty much manufactured the week you buy it. Cost $7.25/bag! I bought what should amount to 6 weeks worth for my hens.

I'm hoping that others can share their experience w/ this feed. My hens will be starting on it as soon as they finish the bag of Layena that we're working on now.

Last edited:
You must also remember that the genetics of your chickens makes more of a difference than their feed. Some breeds lay much better than others. Also, so-called "show" genetics won't lay as well as the commercial ones. If you've got commercial bred Leghorns, or sexlinks, and they aren't laying, it's likely the feed, but if you have show quality Cochins, or some other such breed, there is little you will accomplish by changing feeds.

All of my laying age hens are hatchery stock. I have 15 RIR hatchery birds that should be egg laying machines. I have 2 hatchery delawares, 1 hatchery ee, 1 unknown GLW and 1 unknown SS.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom