Producing Body Eat With Feed

Adopted Chickenman

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
Rogers
hu.gif
I have heard that chicken scratch is great for an added winter treat because it helps the chicken by adding to their normal production of body heat which makes sence to me. The problem I have is my hens don't seem to care for scratch at all. I purchase it from a local feed store because I can't find it where I buy their normal feed (TSC). They love dried mealworms which I buy by the bulk (11 pounds for $164.00). Other treats they enjoy are plain yogurt, kale, boss, melons (anytype), and corn on the cobb. Does anyone know of any other treat/feed that has the same effect as chicken scratch; maybe flock block? Now that it is getting colder, I would like to add to their diet something their bodies can use to generate body heat to stay as warm as possible. Thanks in advace, Adopted Chickenman.

You can try wetting a small amount of scratch with nice warm water or milk- make a mash. They SHOULD go crazy for it. But don't let it get moldy or old (throw it out after one day).

Then they may become accustomed to the taste of it, and eat it dry for you.

My girls don't really like scratch either, but they do like BOSS. I plan to give them lots of BOSS this winter because I read that it is a good winter treat. I also make a big batch of brown rice once in a while and then heat it up to feed them in the morning... they love it! I've also given them warm oatmeal and they like that too.

clap.gif
Thanks, it sure sounds like a boss and oatmeal mixed breakfast for some of the cooler days ahead. And as a kicker, maybe they would like some warmed up scratch and milk pudding. Got to keep the girls healthy, warm, and happy; after all, they do fix me breakfast each day. Thanks for your help, and may all your days ahead be sunnyside up! Adopted Chickenman (aka Marty). OBTW, one of my girls just layed a 89 gram egg, OUCH
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom