Producing eggs in the winter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kellisnider, Mar 23, 2013.

1. kellisnider

kellisnider New Egg

Mar 1, 2013
    My girls stop laying in the winter and I have to turn buyers away. How do I keep them laying all year long? I feed layer pellets and supplement with grain, fruits and veggies as they are available. Thank you

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you supplement their light? I give my girls 14 hours of light/day by using a timer on a light bulb. I also bump up their protein in the winter by supplementing with dehydrated meal worms, raw beef dog food, yogurt, buttermilk, etc. When I'm at the grocery I pick up an extra couple bunches of greens to give them. I feed them a homemade ration of wheat, oats, field peas, corn, sunflower kernels, sesame seeds, fish meal, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, active dried yeast (made for livestock, not bread yeast), and supplements. The only time my girls stopped laying this winter was when the temps were between -11 & 5 for a week. Then they got right back to it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  3. kellisnider

kellisnider New Egg

Mar 1, 2013
    Thanks for the info. No I don't supplement their light but easily can. Should I use a heat lamp or will a regular bulb work? Even though I live in E. Oregon, we don't get as cold as -11, but near zero is not uncommon.

4. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

I use a CFL bulb.

5. EggsnQuackers

EggsnQuackers Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2012
    NW Minnesota
    We supplemented light too. And we had a red heat lamp on when the temps went below 0 or if there was going to be a particularly low windchill. The heat lamp kept their coop about 10 degrees above the outside temps all winter long. For most of the winter this meant the temp inside the coop coop was 0-10 degrees.
    We got at least 5 eggs a day from 9 hens all winter long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by