Product of China - uh oh, now I'm paranoid *hides*

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Fierlin1182, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    There have been so many stories on current affairs shows about food that comes from China. Dangerous chemicals, unsafe production methods. They are succeeding in their aim to convince me to buy local [​IMG]
    And now it's getting worse, A current affair just did an item that says a lot of produce labelled "Made in New Zealand" was actually shipped from China and packages in NZ.

I always scrutinise the packaging labels on things I buy nowadays. [​IMG]

2. Creed Bennett

Creed Bennett Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    I try to buy as much US produced items as I can but it's getting to be almost impossible now days. I went out to buy some rawhide chews for my new Collie pup. I couldn't find any made here! No matter what brand, thy were all made in china. Of course I was at walmart and should have known better but I didn't have any other place to go. Of course that brings up a lot of the problem. WalMart comes into a small town and puts everybody else out of business and you are now at their mercy. [​IMG]

3. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011
    Nowadays we're getting a lot of imported stuff from the US as well, cheap dollar and all that.
    They're using the excuse that Aussie farmers aren't producing enough lemons, or whatever is on sale at the supermarkets this week, but farmers say that isn't true. Now we're starting on avocados. No end to it.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  4. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    I try to buy local but it is almost impossible. RARELY can I find anything made in the USA. it is disturbing!

5. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    The U.S. does NOT import honey directly from China, safety issues regarding the honey (such as using antibiotics for bee diseases and then pulling tainted honey for consumption. In the U.S., that tainted honey is NOT legal to harvest) AND the fact that a lot of Chinese honey is watered down with sugar syrup and rice syrup. But, China exports honey to Australia to be mixed with a bit of Australian honey, then exported to the U.S. It is a devious ploy to use the fact that Australian honey is allowed to be imported, so China uses it to bypass the restrictions.

6. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011
    That's pretty much what's happening with frozen veg from New Zealand. They really gotta do something about it... [​IMG]
    Thankfully, we don't eat much frozen food so I wouldn't buy it anyway.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  7. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    If you can find a local beekeeper, the honey from them will help ALOT with allergies, and if it's local, then you KNOW where it comes from!

8. cameron

cameron Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    A Current Affair is on the air??? I haven't seen that show since the 80s!

9. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011
  10. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I was suprised(shouldn't be) to see the 5 packs of garlic from Aldi's were from China.

I don't know about raw hide but you could make some chews from drying duck or chicken breast.My dogs love those.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by