1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Production Bird Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chloe77, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Chloe77

Chloe77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2012
    What are the pros and cons of production birds? Post pics!

2. Chloe77

Chloe77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2012
    Here are my production birds. I love them! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think that production New Hampshire Reds are lighter then the original strains.

Not quite sure why that's the case. It seems to me, after viewing pics of heritage NHR's, that they are darker. I'm not sure why.

And the same with Barred Rocks. They've gotten muddier, and less "barred." Also, the production Rock roosters seem to keep fine barring on the neck area, but get wider and darker farther down.

How did the wide barring seep into the Barred Rock breed?

[​IMG]

This bird is pretty finely barred, and very white. (He does have a little wideness of bar at the bottom of his wing...)

[​IMG]

Here's a production rooster. Coarse barring, and a lot of that coarse barring is down by his wing and lower body!

[​IMG]

The same goes for my production rooster. Ok barring at neck, widens off near top of wing, and gradually widens and coarsens down.

What a genetic mix-up somebody made!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by