1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Production Black/ California Grey Chicken

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickasaurusRex, Aug 24, 2011.

1. ChickasaurusRex

ChickasaurusRex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    SF Bay
    There isn't much info about them.... I know they can be autosexed and they breed true even though they are a mix between a barred rock and a leghorn.
    Why aren't they recognized as a pure breed? Anyone have these chickens? Do the females have dots on their heads or the males when the hatch?

2. ChickasaurusRex

Aug 10, 2011
    SF Bay
    Bump? Anyone? [​IMG]

3. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    a sex link, will not breed on.. it's against science, nature, and genetics...

for that matter, any F1, will NEVER breed on consistantely...

It's a matter of
    Hh x Hh equals 25% HH, 50% Hh, 25% hh...

will not happen...

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It will not breed true but will indeed still make perfectly good chickens. [​IMG]

As previously said, Something that is half and half bred to another half and half gives you only 50% chance of what the half and half parents looked like, BUT, you need to cut down that 50% for every gene that was different.

For example, blue x blue = 50% blue, however if they were blue, incomplete laced, half dominant white, and partially columbian, - You'd get less than 16% chance of a chick that is just like its F1 parents.

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    California Greys are purebreds. They're not F1 hybrids, so they will breed true. [​IMG]

They were bred in the 1930s from crosses of Barred Rocks and White Leghorns. They're sexable by color because all barred/cuckoo birds are sexable by color (males lighter colored, females darker). Both sexes have white dots on their heads when they hatch. If you look up how to sex Barred Rock chicks, the same info applies to these.

Here's some links with info about California Greys:
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/CalGray/BRKCalGray.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Gray
    http://www.raising-chickens.org/california-gray.html

California Grey rooster x White Leghorn hen = California White, which is sexable at hatch by feather sexing (which is different from a sexlink). In color, they are white with the occasional black feather. This may be the hybrid people are thinking of...

Hope this helps! [​IMG]

6. ChickasaurusRex

Aug 10, 2011
    SF Bay
    Thanks!

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Cowgirl71 correct on all points. I have California greys. You can color sex them as chicks but shut barred rocks and domiques out of your mind when doing it. The Calfinornia greys are much lighter.

Rex, I have come to conclusion they are morons that consider only food and sex. Roosters prone to be manfighters and flighty to boot. They mature early and are hard on hens as well. Despite being developed originally for dual purpose, they appear to have been subjected to more selection for egg production based on birds I have. They outcross very well with American dominiques producing something that grows faster than either parent. If egg production even approaches that of pure California greys then something awesome is to be realized.

8. ChickasaurusRex

Aug 10, 2011
    SF Bay
    That would be... [​IMG]

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:?[​IMG]

10. ChickasaurusRex