Production Breeds Will Break Your Heart

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Hey y'all,

I wanted to start a discussion about production breed chickens.

I had 2 Red Sexlinks, and I'm now down to one (who almost died last week from egg binding). The other died from a ruptured egg causing massive oviduct infection. She was egg bound for 4 days. I got the egg out, but she didn't perk right back up. She went rapidly downhill, seemed generally uncomfortable, very sleepy, and VERY hot. I could feel the heat coming off of her. She was euthanized the day before Hurricane Ida hit here in Louisiana.

My remaining Red Sexlink Peebles is somehow still alive and well. Last week she was egg bound with two shell-less eggs; one ruptured and one whole. She was on a dose of 2x daily Trimeth Sulf left over from when the other Red Sexlink severely prolapsed earlier this year. Peebles is fine now, by the grace of God.

These were both hens over 1 year old. The late RSL prolapsed earlier this year, requiring vet attention. I have heard that RSLs and the like rarely make it past 2 or 3, so I'm dreading the next few years regarding Peebles, as she is my favorite hen.

My Rhode Island Red has had no laying issues, other than the fact that her eggs are not as thick-shelled as I like. My birds have free choice oyster shell/eggshells.

Please feel free to share your experiences and stories with production breeds!

When I was new to chickenkeeping, I bought my first chicks from a local farm store (not RK or TSC). I chose a variety - straight run - which included a Rhode Island Red chick that turned out to be a pullet. She was lovely, friendly, and an excellent layer...until she began laying shell-less eggs and eventually succumbed to EYP. All of my laying poultry have access to free choice oyster shell and periodic crushed eggshell.

As you know, it's a terrible experience to watch a layer struggle with these kinds of (often fatal) reproductive problems. I now choose breeds that may not lay as well but live longer. 😕 I may try hatching heritage RIR someday, though, if I can source some eggs.

Wishing you and Peebles good health.

I now choose breeds that may not lay as well but live longer.
Totally agree with this, that's why I've started a flock of Mille Fleur d'Uccles. They lay about 100-120 eggs a year, but usually live to 5 or even into the teens. I'm about to integrate 2 EEs into the flock for egg laying purposes, just to justify keeping chickens, but the d'Uccles are by far my favorite birds for temperament.

I have/had several varieties of red sexlinks, including isa browns and "golden sexlinks." Almost all have succumbed to reproductive issues during their 3rd year. Literally almost all of mine have lived to age 3, but almost none make it to age 4. I first got red sexlinks in 2014, and have had approx. 150 red sexlink hens total since.

I have a friend who breeds Great Danes. She has had other breeds in the past, but Danes are her favorite breed. I never understood why she chose a dog breed that has an average lifespan of 8-10 years. Just seemed like too much heartbreak to have beloved dogs pass away at such young ages. But now that ive had red sexlink hens i finally understand. I adore their friendly, bold, curious, funny and intelligent ways. I have many other chicken breeds too, but you wouldnt know it to see group flock photos. Because the red sexlink hens are Always crowded up front and center. I choose to keep getting replacements because in addition to their jumbo beautiful golden-brown eggs, they bring a lot of enjoyment to my life. And they have happy, safe and carefree lives while they are here.

As far as one's favorite chickens, dogs, cats, People, etc, we Never want to watch them grow old and/or sick and have to let them go. My oldest hens (other breeds) are now 6-7 years old and going strong. I see red sexlink hens as my "Great Dane chickens." I know they wont live as long, but i i love having them while they are here.

However long Peebles lives, enjoy her company while she is with you. I feel certain if she could talk, Peebles would say she was glad to know you too.

I adore their friendly, bold, curious, funny and intelligent ways. I have many other chicken breeds too, but you wouldnt know it to see group flock photos. Because the red sexlink hens are Always crowded up front and center.
I love this whole reply. Peebles is certainly bold. If anyone sits on the ground, she'll run over and peck/pick at their clothes, scratch right by them, wipe her beak on them, etc. while my RIR watches from 10 feet away :lau

I love my Golden Comets, but I won’t ever choose them again. I’d rather have chickens with a long lifespan than ones that are great layers.

My sweetest Comet is recovering from sour crop and water belly. She’s doing surprisingly well, but there’s something going on with her reproductive system. I’m doing everything I can, but I know she won’t survive it in the end. I’m sad that years of selective breeding have created a chicken that doesn’t even make it 5 years.

Totally agree with this, that's why I've started a flock of Mille Fleur d'Uccles. They lay about 100-120 eggs a year, but usually live to 5 or even into the teens. I'm about to integrate 2 EEs into the flock for egg laying purposes, just to justify keeping chickens, but the d'Uccles are by far my favorite birds for temperament.
I ran into a woman recently who had a tiny d'Uccle rooster perched on her shoulder like a parrot! He was the cutest little guy.😻

We got 8 over 10 years ago. 4 black stars and 4 red stars. Apart from a red who died at 8 or 9, all our losses for the other 7 were either predator related or we gave them to other people for their flocks. The last one, well, she was old, and she got stomped by our 4H steer.

Back
Top Bottom