production breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenprincess92, Jul 12, 2010.

1. chickenprincess92

chickenprincess92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Hello i am caroline sharing a profile with my sister Allison. [​IMG] I'm not sure what kind of breeds are production breeds? Can anyone type the name of some of the production breeds that they know of?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2010
  2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:Hi Caroline and Allison! It's nice to see some younger member participating on the forum. A few common names that I know of for production reds are: Golden Buffs, Cinnimon Queens, and Golden Comets, and there are many more. Some are simply called "red sex links", as that is exactly what they are. Most are a small size hen, with redish color feathers on the body, and typically some white on the tail.

Here is a picture of mine.
    [​IMG]

Not a great picture, but gives you an idea of what they look like.

ETA: This section is used to introduce yourself. If you post chicken questions in the appropriate section, you will get a larger responce. For instance, a question like this would go in the "Breeds, Genetics, Showing" section.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2010
  3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The most common known production "breed" is the Production Red then there are the Sex-Links that can come in Black or Red.
    I will say that most breeds that you will get from a hatchery can be considered a "Production Breed" because they bred more for productivity and quantity rather than quality...

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by