production chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cgjsmith, May 21, 2008.

1. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    Hey all my daughters class hatched out tyson chickens (what ever they use) I knew there was a chance of problems because well anything production is going to be a problem for a small hobby farm. I brought home two chicks one is groewing normal but fast the other seemed to ballon over night and its legs spradledI mean its so mig it can't get onits feet. I am giving them regulare chick feed and they are in with my other chicks. I don't know if I can fix it or if it needs to be culled. suggestions Crystal

2. rhchick

rhchick Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    I am having the same problem. I only have one that has leg problems but the bigger issue is that I have no idea what type of birds I have on my hands. I have 21 birds that the 4th grade classes at my son's school hatched out. Some of the them are white with a hint of black in the feathers the others are all white. I haven't noticed any of them growing extremely fast over the others to indicate a fryer. I don't know what I have for sure.

I thought the one with the leg problems would never make it past the 4th day of life when we brought it home. We are now at 4 weeks and it is still getting to food and water daily by hopping on one leg. I am open for any suggestions.[​IMG]

3. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    do a search for spraddle leg. It seems like a fairly easy home patch job with a bandaid. I'm sure some more experienced people will chime in. Good luck to you!

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by