Production Falling Off

bgates1970

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Somewhere, Close
I know this question has been asked so many times but I've tried all solutions and can't figure them out.

I average around 10-12 eggs per day and in the dead of winter around 4-5. In the last couple weeks it's been reduced to 1 if we're lucky. Yes, we've had some gloomy weather in MN but nothing they haven't seen. I know they've been eating some eggs because I've seen egg on their faces. Not a joke even though it sounds like one.

I have:
3 SLW
3 RR
4 BO
1 BR
1 Mutt?
2 Polish Crested

I just added the BR and Mutt. I say Mutt because for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. It looks like a Maran. It was free so I can't refuse FREE.

I had changed their diet over the summer because the feedstore was always closed when I had time to stop. Bad Excuse! I was buying what I now refer to as crap. However, TSC now carries the Layena pellets which they really love. I switched back to the Layena.

I even added some Oyster shell to their feed and scratch grains because I noticed the shells were sort of thin. Now the 1 egg we usually get has a hard shell but still no increase in production.

I just cleaned out their whole coop and added fresh litter.

My garden (fenced on 3 sides) sits right next to their run so I added a little gate on their run to give them access to the garden. (Should have done this long ago) I put up a temporary fence on the 4th side of the garden. So now their run is approx. 80 x 30. This I hoped would cheer them up if they were depressed.
smile.png

I noticed they have been doing a lot of pecking on each other. So I think my coop is too small. It's 8 x 5. So what I decided to do is donate my 3 SLW and 3 RRs to a family who is down on their luck. They want to start a flock but don't know how it all works and don't have internet to research things.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

That would do it.

It usually takes about 10 weeks to get through a molt, then some will start to lay sooner than others. I try to add a few new layer chicks each spring, so that come fall I still have some in their first year to keep me in eggs.

Add some protein as they start to recover from the molt until they are back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom