Production red 17 days into sitting on eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by linnydane, Oct 26, 2015.

1. linnydane

linnydane New Egg

Jan 12, 2015
    Hello, I have a production red hen that has gone broody with about ten eggs. I decided to let her sit for awhile thinking there is no way she will make it the full 21 days. We have never had one of our reds hatch chicks. Miraculously she has been a very dedicated broody and we are now closing down on the 21 day mark either Friday or Saturday. My question is, what do you guys think about leaving her to raise the chicks. I am not confident in her mothering abilities. Should I try to remover her when they begin hatching, or try to play it by ear and hope for the best?

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Play it by ear and see what happens.. Let nature do FIRST.

WISHING YOU BEST.. [​IMG]

Keep us updated on how it goes and of course we need pix.. ( each one saves you a 1000 words. )

3. Guyswithchicks

Guyswithchicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2015
    She has dedicated herself to sitting tight for three weeks so there should be no reason for her mothering instinct to fail.
    I would see what happens but be prepared just in case.
    If it is any consolation, I have had broodies, designed to sit and mother and have been pathetic at the job.
    All the best.

4. linnydane

linnydane New Egg

Jan 12, 2015
    [​IMG]

3 so far and she's a great mom :)

1 person likes this.
  5. wyndotte lover

wyndotte lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Mississippi
    That's great I'm on day 20 incubating eggs I have one peeping out of 4 and I have three duck eggs incubating on day 20 as well but they should hatch on day28 I think My peeping egg peeped this morning around 4:00am how long should I wait Before help is needed

6. linnydane

linnydane New Egg

Jan 12, 2015
    Hey I would wait until at least tomorrow afternoon. They take their sweet time.

7. wyndotte lover

wyndotte lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Mississippi
    What is a pruductin red and how many chicks do you have know

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by