Production Red and Buff Orp shutting down laying......heat? pre molt?

Dtrain28

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
It's been super hot here recently and my hens have been having some one year old issues......My Buff Orpington is down to one egg a week (if that)...last week she was sitting a lot on her nesting box but then she leaves, she free ranges , etc....she has been irritable with "broody clucks" last few weeks as well.......

My Production Red who is a laying machine has decided to lay in the yard in a shady confined spot....even though the coop is shady and confined, I still think it gets hot in there.....

Need feedback from the board if my Orp is pre molting ( no feathers anywhere) or broody......

As for the Production Red.....Is it just the recent heat that has caused the shutdown

hmm.png

We have not been having the heat the southern states have been having. Last week we were still in winter coats. However, I have 3 production reds, or stars, this is their third summer and I am getting almost no eggs from them and they are crabby. My BO is the same age, but she has a brood of 11 chicks. I think my egg loss is their age.

MrsK

Back
Top Bottom