1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Production Red Hen and Rooster Genetic Question.....(PICS)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BANTAMWYANDOTTE, Apr 16, 2011.

1. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    BEFORE YOU READ:
    PLEASE KNOW THAT I TRIED TO PROVIDE ENOUGH INFORMATION TO HELP GET AN INFORMED ANSWER. I THINK ALL MY BREED INFORMATION IS CORRECT BUT FEEL FREE TO CORRECT ANY MISTAKES OR MIS-INTERUPTATIONS I MAY HAVE HERE. [​IMG]

Is it possible for a Production Red to have blue legs?

The pictures:

The Rooster (Big Ben) and Hen (Clara)

[​IMG]

The Rooster Alone

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup he is a production Red just like mine Chuck....My DD 14yrs picked him out of a straightrun bin at TSC...from what i understand yes NH and RIR mix....I ordered 3 different breeds from cackle last year...and did not have any oops but who knows..I don't know what she is but maybe someone else will chime in

[​IMG]

3. tandersphoenix

tandersphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Wow those blue legs on that hen look pretty crazy. I don't remember seeing blue legs on a red hen like that. Remember though that production reds are a hybrid not a breed so it is sure possible that there was something else used in there at one time.

4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    The father of the blue shanked hen also had blue shanks or at least light blue shanks. It could be a catalana cross but Cackle does not have catalana. There are two genes responsible for the blue leg color. One is sex linked ( dermal melanin) and the other is skin color and is autosomal ( not sex linked). Birds with blue shanks carry dermal melanin and the white skin gene.

Another possibility is that an easter egger jumped the fence. Cackle does sell easter eggers. That is most likely the answer. Not all easter eggers have green shanks and muffs/ beards and pea combs.

Cackle does sell blue shanked birds but the males are silver and that would make any female offspring silver columbian or silver something.

Big mystery-

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by