Production Red hens attacking my dogs..

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chisNchickens, Mar 2, 2012.

1. chisNchickens

chisNchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I have six production red hens and am probably soon to go down to one. Is this a mean "breed" in general? They came from TSC and are last spring's pullets.
    I am sick of them attacking my dogs. They literally would have killed one this morning if I had not been there to intervene. I have chihuahuas - I show and breed occasionally - and I cannot have them being attacked. I have been letting my flock out to free rage every evening and make sure I have the little ones in at that point, but accidents do happen and one dog might get let out,etc. And it is not just my chis - they attack the cats just for being near, and will actually challenge my over 100 lb german shepherd dog for HIS food. I really don't want to confine my birds all day.
    I have the following hens along with the reds: black stars, barred rocks, and one EE, and the roo is a d'uccle. They are all the same age and there is a total of 13 hens. Only problem birds are the reds.
    None of the other birds attack other animals, just the reds.
    Are there any egg laying breeds that are more docile?
    Thanks...

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I and my neighbor have culled all the RIRs out of both our flocks for aggression. The birds all came from the same hatchery, but in different hatches, and they were all the meanest things you ever saw. They were egg eaters, feather pickers, bullies and human-aggressive. I was not sorry to see the last of that lot.

RIRs are the only birds I have come in contact with that are that mean. (And if you think the females are bad, you should see the males...Horrible.) I have had JGs, BOs, GLWs, GSLs, RSLs, EEs, BRs, and CXs and never had a problem with any of them. All are great layers except the CXs and EEs, but I didn't get those two breeds for their stellar laying.

Good luck.

3. Yoke

Yoke Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    I have three reds and none are aggressive to humans and none are on top of the pecking order (maybe in the top half but not at the top).

CMV is correct, a lot of other breeds to choose from.

4. chisNchickens

chisNchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    They are not aggressive toward us, only the dogs. And they grew up around the dogs. Interestingly, the roo is not aggressive with the dogs, only people, and he grew up in the house. (He is in the BYC calendar). Strange creatures. As for the red roos...had one but he didn't make it past four months. Very mean. Thanks for the experience folks, I am a newbie but learning fast! I have wheaten and blue wheaten ameracauna eggs in the bator now and am expecting bcm chicks and bbs ameracauna chicks in April! I have the disease! LOL
    Hopefully these will be nice, calm birds!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by