Production Red is a "silent" layer

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Farm_Maven, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    The first time I was in the coop when Henrietta laid an egg and no egg song, I thought it was a fluke. But again today she laid an egg while I was there, and again, not a peep! Nothin.

2. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Two of my PR make no songs or sounds either. But my third and largest screams like someone is ripping her legs off. [​IMG] She makes it VERY known she is laying and everyone needs to know.

3. Farm_Maven

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    Quote:She must be taking up the slack!! [​IMG]

4. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    I have some silent layers, some noisy layers, and some that feel the need to point out that somebody else is laying.

They're all different, just like people [​IMG]

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    In regards to the egg song... Some hens don't, some hens do. I only have a couple of BO's that do it when they lay. The others just lay an egg and then get up and go about their business.

6. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I have two golden comets that just started laying and the few times I know they have been in the coop sitting in the nest box-they pretty much go in, stay about 30 minutes, come back out-don't say a word! [​IMG] I kind of hope it stays that way-because once one was singing what I believe was the egg song-for no apparent reason-false alarm, I guess...and she was LOUD! I think silence may be a good thing-especially when neighbors are close by. [​IMG]

7. Farm_Maven

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    neighbors not a worry, no one is close enough to hear anything

8. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    My BR's have not made a peep either! I was looking forward to the "warning" so I would know who was laying but no such luck. I have 2 EE and 2BB that have not started yet so maybe they will be singers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by