1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Production Red - is this a rooster? + a Brahma question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenshet, Apr 30, 2011.

1. chickenshet

chickenshet Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2011
    Hi there! This pic was taken at about 8 weeks old and I am suspicious that this Production Red may be a rooster. It is a lot bigger than the other pullets and has a wider comb, but I am hesitant to jump to conclusions yet because I don't know if it's the breed (I don't have any other Production Reds to compare it to). The past week or so, I have been hearing this gurgly pathetic sound (whoohooo) from our chicken coop that could be the beginning of a crow? Do their crows sound like crows when they first begin crowing or do they sound like this soft, weird sound I have been hearing?
    Does it look like it might be a rooster?

I also have my suspicions about my sweet little Brahma - when I was holding her the other day, I felt sharp little spurs forming. Do Brahma hens have little spurs or could she actually be a he? None of the other birds have this.
    Thanks for your help, this is my first time raising chickens!

[​IMG]

2. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Those aren't production reds, they're Easter Eggers. And the one in the front is definitely a roo. [​IMG] He's pretty, though!

Are you sure your brahma is growing spurs? None of my roosters had spurs till they were much much older, like close to a year old. They all sure have sharp nails, though!

3. chickenshet

Feb 20, 2011
    Quote:Thanks for your quick reply! The one in back was sold to me as an Easter Egger, but the one in front was sold to me as a Production Red. Do you think the one in front is definitely an Easter Egger instead of a Production Red? Thanks! Either way, bummer about her being a him as he will now go live with my father-in-law instead of us.
    As for my Brahma, I am going to take a better look. Perhaps I was mistaken and it was her nail. [​IMG]

4. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    He is 100% EE. Production reds are Rhode Island Red/New Hampshire Red and have single combs. He has multiple colors on him, muffs, and a pea comb. A big red pea comb. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  5. chickenshet

Feb 20, 2011
    Thanks for the info! I really got duped at the feed store.

6. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I wouldn't blame the feed store too much. Most likely, another customer was picking up chicks and looking at them and dropped that one into the wrong bin when they decided they didn't want him. I almost did that myself when I was picking out my chicks, but I caught myself in time.

7. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    As far as I know, all chickens have the starts of spurs (nubs) on their legs so do not use that as an indicator.

Pretty EE roo you have there. (Sorry)

8. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    I am pretty new so take this as a grain of salt, but from what I understand the EE's have face tufts, the one in front has them, the one in back doesn't seem to, could you have gotten them mixed up? I agree on the roo for the front one though. But again, Im a newbie

9. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    They are both very obviously mixed breeds, which EE's are. The one in the back looks like she has a beard, though. Not all EE's have muffs or beards, but most do. She's also young, her muffs might not be feathered in just yet.

10. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I also wanted to add [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by