1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Production red mixed with?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MzPlacedHippie, Aug 14, 2013.

1. MzPlacedHippie

MzPlacedHippie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Mae, she's shy with people but holds her own with the flock. Any ideas what she might have in her background to make the cool coloring?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    It's hard to tell from the picture, but does she have a rose colored breast? Is her comb a peacomb?

3. MzPlacedHippie

Aug 2, 2013
    Resembles the pea comb more so than the single...super short, but only one row of nubs. No red on her breast. She has blue/gray feet though, which are kind of neat. I find her quite pretty and was just curious. Thanks for any guesses!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    If a peacomb type the most common place to get that would be an easter egger... but odd that she would be such a black tailed buff and she doesn't seem to have any patterning if an EE mix?

5. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

She looks like a new hampshire red except for those legs, maybe she's an easter egger mixed with an NHR ( because of that pea comb).[​IMG] What color eggs does she lay?

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Maybe an ee?

7. MzPlacedHippie

Aug 2, 2013
    No eggs yet. I don't think she's far from laying tho. She shows some interest in the nesting boxes.

8. MzPlacedHippie

Aug 2, 2013
    Well if she layed the mystery egg this morning it was a light creamy brown much like one of my girl with a ruffled face.

9. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Some EEs lay brown and white eggs, it happens when they are crossed too much with other production breeds.

10. MzPlacedHippie

Aug 2, 2013
    Makes sense. It's still pretty. She's a cutie I think too. I have one ruffle face left to start laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by