Production Red (pullet or cockerel?)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MI-Homesteader, Jun 27, 2016.

1. MI-Homesteader

MI-Homesteader Just Hatched

Jun 25, 2016
    Holly, Michigan
    Have a bird that is looking to me like a cockerel, any thoughts? Both of these birds were purchased as day old chicks. Both have had same feed and everything...Thanks for any help! Also they are both 16-18 weeks old I cant remember exactly what day I purchased them.

This one is the pullet:
    [​IMG]

This one is the bird in question:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

that is definitely a roo

3. MI-Homesteader

Jun 25, 2016
    Holly, Michigan
    I've never had a rooster before, I figured it would have tried to crow by now....makes the same noises as all the pullets lol

4. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

my silkie roo didn't try to crow until he was about 10 months old but he was late developing the roo traits so much so that he was lola for 4 months

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's a hen. Looks like she's ready to lay literally any day now. If she free ranges, you might want to try confining her for a few days and see what she may pop out [​IMG]

6. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    x2

7. MI-Homesteader

Jun 25, 2016
    Holly, Michigan
    Donrae, are you sure its not a roo? The others look completely different and are same age and breed

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Pretty positive, yeah.

Your birds are adolescents. Walk down the hallway of any junior high school and you'll see some females that are more developed than their same age classmates. Even full siblings develop at different rates, my two boys are proof of that. She's just an early maturer.

9. MI-Homesteader

Jun 25, 2016
    Holly, Michigan
    This is good to hear, Do you recommend a breed of rooster that is good with children? We have not had one yet and am going to look at buying one now. I was hoping this bird was a roo because it is so nice haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by