Production red... roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wanda047, May 10, 2009.

1. wanda047

wanda047 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Hardy, Arkansas
    I am in the process of selling my 4 production reds (1 cockerel and 3 pullets) Here's a photo of my cockerel. However, my 12-yr-old daughter is arguing with me... "Where's his wattles?" She thinks it is a pullet. My little pullets have very small combs... as shown in the second photo (chic in back). So is Big Red a cockerel or a pullet?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's a close up of Big Red's comb. Has he just not grown his wattles yet? These birds are 8-9 weeks old. And what about those feathers growing out wildly about his face?

[​IMG]

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    definitely a roo... no doubt.

3. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
  4. wanda047

wanda047 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Hardy, Arkansas
    I checked out those photos and you're right. He does resemble the Buff
    Ameraucana cockerel. The gentleman I bought the chicks from only raised buff orpingtons and production reds though. I supposedly bought 16 BO, but once they started feathering, I realized he had given me 4 of the Production reds instead. The PR all have blue legs and feet and black tips on their wing feathers, not to mention they are red instead of buff.
    These four are easy to pick out of my flock of birds because of their red color.

I do agree he's a roo. He's much bigger than the rest of the group who are all the same age, thus his name, "Big Red".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by