Production Red? That's what they were sold as

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DaveMorey, Aug 25, 2013.

1. DaveMorey

DaveMorey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    Westminster, Vermont
    [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It actually looks to be a red sex link. Note the white under feathers. It really isn't important, per se. This red bird will likely be a terrific layer of brown eggs. A production red (a non specific mix of reddish birds) are also intended to lay large brown eggs. Both are top layers approaching and sometimes exceeding 300 eggs a pullet year.

Did you purchase from a hatchery, feed store or individual?

3. DaveMorey

DaveMorey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    Westminster, Vermont
    I bought them from the local Tractor Supply. I also bought a bunch of what they labelled as "red pullets". Some of the others look like red tetra tint? I have a couple pics on my profile page. They all have been good layers so far.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

In the end, none of these are breeds, of course. They are just various mixes of red birds, aimed at production of brown eggs. That's why TSC sells them. They do exactly what they were designed to do, for the most part. They mature early, lay tons of brown eggs. Will they keep this up for the "out years"? Very few and very rarely. But while they last? They are birds that the commercial brown egg producers choose and there is a good reason.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Red sex link.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with the above posters. You have Red Sex-Links, also called Red Stars or Cinnamon Queens. They are a cross of a red rooster (like a Rhode Island Red) with a silver hen (like a White Leghorn). You'll get just as many eggs (if not more) from your Red Star as you would have gotten from a Production Red. Production Reds are just various "red" breed crosses that lay plenty of eggs.

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Just one correction--white Leghorns do not carry the silver gene. They carry a white gene that will cover pretty much any other color genes out there and will produce white chicks, often with black spots. A Tetra Tint is an example of a Red Rooster over a white Leghorn.

Silver factor birds include white Rocks, Columbian Rocks, Delawares, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Rhode Island White... but not the Leghorn.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Oops! Thanks for the correction.

9. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    You're welcome.

I hatched a large batch of white Leghorn eggs, with three roosters in the flock--a wheaten Ameraucana, a RIR, and a lemon blue cuckoo Marans. Each and every chick was yellow with black spots, and the only way to tell which was the father of each chick was to look at leg color and feathering. People on BYC told me that the white gene in the Leghorn is amazingly dominant--I had to ask, I was floored when each and every chick hatched out looking almost the same! That's why that little factoid is etched in my memory. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by