Production Red v's Road Island Red?

crayon

Songster
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
Hillman Michigan
What is the difference between a production red and a road island red? I have 2 "road Islands" but I have seen talk of production reds and just wondering what to look for to see the difference.

"Production Red" is a meaningless term that is endlessly bandied about here. Either it's a Rhode Island Red, a New Hampshire, or some sort of cross. The people that bred the bird can tell you what it is.

Now whether it meets the APA SOP or not is another thing entirely. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but that's only a cosmetic standard not a practical one. I maintain that a Rhode Island Red that only lays 150 eggs a year and takes six months to start laying isn't a real Rhode Island Red either even if it wins every show in the country.

You can go wrong either way.

I think the biggest difference between a true Rhode Island red and a production red lies primarily in the eyes of those who stick their noses in the air and look askance at anything that comes from a hatchery.

Production reds are, as others have pointed out, most likely a cross between a New Hampshire red & a Rhode Island red which are very similar in appearance, with the New Hampshire red being a slightly lighter color and somewhat smaller bird. Someone mentioned they've seen red sexlinks sold as PRs, but that has not been my experience. I've only seen red sexlinks sold as red sexlinks, red stars, or cinnamon queens. (I like the name "cinnamon queens" better hehehe... it just sounds prettier.) How chickens are labeled for sale varies greatly from region to region and even from one hatchery or breeder to another.

I don't get into semantics and hair-splitting when it comes to identifying breeds, though. If it's red, lays a brown egg, has a good disposition, and is sold to me as a Rhode Island red, that's what I'm gonna say it is. I think it really matters more if you're planning to show or get into breeding, but if you just want some nice fresh eggs and a bird that's going to be docile and get along well in your flock, you just can't go wrong with a RIR.

Here are my Production reds...maybe someone else can show you a true RIR...
57454_summer2011_186.jpg

On the left is a hen...
57454_cochinsbantams2011_049.jpg

The birds sold as RIR these days are quite a far cry from the original, which some folks have kept alive through small breeders working hard to preserve a more heritage look to them. Most hatchery breeds have deteriorated from their Standard quite a bit. Most of the birds sold as RIR really, truly look very little like how they "should". It's kind of a shame, really.

Perhaps the term "production red" is inaccurate, but at least it serves some purpose. First, it is likely the hens will actually lay well. Second, it will be some kind of dull orang/brown/reddish color. Would I love some of the gorgeous, deep mahogany colored, brick shaped birds shown on the Heritage RIR thread? Oh yes. But if they are only capable of laying 160-180 eggs a year, as A.T. Hagan said, no thanks. It is possible that this combination of awesome look, true to type, combined with great laying, has gone extinct. It is super rare, in any case.

Here's a couple pix of my RIR from a hatchery. Not too awful bad, looks wise, but still a far cry from the standard.

69833_dscf0310.jpg
69833_dscf0063.jpg

I have them both. I really like the egg laying qualities I get from the PR but never would call them RIR or sell them as RIR.
All solid black dogs that like water and retrieves birds are not Labradors.

Last edited:
I mentioned in an earlier post that I had hatchery RIRs and PRs and couldn't tell the difference and didn't care because they were both beautiful, friendly and , important to me , very productive layers. That said, If I ever collected eggs or hatched eggs from these birds, I would never sell them as anything other than they are. Hatchery quality and the hatchery I bougth my prs from said they were a RIR and NHR hybrid. I think that is the important and ehtical point.

Everybody has their own interests, passions and motivations. As I am becoming more interested in chickens, I can understand wanting to know about heritage lines, standards, breed variations etc. This forum is an invaluable source on info. Its a wonderful hobby for me. I'd love to be able to become involved in raising and selling eggs. I don't think I care about showing. But I hope that I will be sensible of learning as much as possible and representing my birds and eggs honestly and ethically. On that point I hope we can all agree.

They use any reds I think and they worry more about egg production than quality. Yes, they are not true RIR's.( or should I say they are not "True to standard" for a RIR)

ETA The same I think goes for most hatchery birds.What I meant is they use any of the offspring to breed.They aren't picky as to who gets bred so if one has less color or wrong comb types...they just hatch from them anyway.Eventually they change quite a bit!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom