Production reds! A few Q's...

Pet Duck Boy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 12, 2009
Orlando, FL
I've been wanting to post a thread like this for a while. I have six 2 1/2 week old production red pullets. Here goes:

1: How friendly are they? Are they hard to catch?

2: How loud? They can be as chatty as they want, but with neighbors feet away I can't have anything loud.

3: How big do they get in pounds?

4: How high can they usually jump? Will a 6 foot fence prevent escapees?

5: What's the average amount of eggs you would get a week from a production red pullet?

6: Are they hardy and less prone to illnesses?

7: Are they relatively wary of predators?

8: They are crosses between a RIR and a NHR, correct?

That's all for now, I'll post some more if I remember, thanks!

Pet Duck Boy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 12, 2009
Orlando, FL
Thanks chris. Also, it's my fence that's going to be 6 foot, my coop and run will be enclosed completly. I was just wondering if the fence would hold them in the yard when I let them out on nice days.

Anyone else have anything to add about production reds?

Pet Duck Boy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 12, 2009
Orlando, FL
Anyone?
hu.gif

ve

Crowing
12 Years
Jan 27, 2009
Palmetto GA
My run is 6f and I do not have too much problems.Only my leghorns will fly owt if are scared but no reds

ericsplls

Songster
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
My production rir's wouldn't cross a 6 foot fence. My rir hens don't range very far from their tractor. They probably rarely get 30 yards from the coop unless they are following me around the yard. You pullets might until they get full grown. They didn't lay alot of eggs as pullets last year. Probably laid four eggs a week. Now at a year old it's six to seven eggs a week. They are fairly wary of predators. They will get used to dogs and get dangerously close to them. For example I have one hen that will go to the dog kennels and wait until the dog gets to the other side of the kennel, then stick her head through the fence and steal food. She also whipped the barn cat last week for getting too close to her food. Mine aren't very noisy.

Pet Duck Boy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 12, 2009
Orlando, FL
Good to hear guys. So far my 6 reds have quite a good personality. They'll jump in my hands and fall asleep, all 7 of my chicks like or don't mind being handled. It's just my white EE that proves to be difficult.

Top Bottom