Production Reds and having issues.

vanderlander

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 24, 2012
Tennessee
So I found some 1.5 year old "Laying Hen" Production Reds on Craigslist. I picked them up yesterday but I feel like I've been scammed. They are from a production facility. One of the six was on a roost last night and it was 15 degrees out. When it started snowing they did not go into the coop. I had to shoo them inside to not get wet. I put foam panels on the bottom to keep the chickens from standing on concrete all night but they just lay down. I'm thinking about taking them out to make them roost. If they don't shape up in 2 weeks I'm going to cull them all. Any advice is appreciated. They are such worn out looking birds.

Thanks.

Are they ex battery hens? Then they will need to learn how to roost and go into the coop etc. Your coop is strange and everything is strange and judging by your description and where they came from I'd guess the poor things are probably in shock. Put them in the coop and leave them in there for a few days so they'll get used to their new home and encourage them to roost by putting them on the roosts. Put some unfiltered apple cider vinegar in their drink water (4-5 tablespoons to a gallon water) to help them recover. That will help with the stress of being moved also. Give them time and be patient with them and they will reward you in time.

Thanks for the advive. I really was not being too optimistic about them until i heard from you. I'll keep working with them and I'll see how it goes.

Just be patient with them and you'll reap the rewards. Good luck with them!

One more question while I have your ear. The hens are doing much better in general. There is one bird who is mostly separate from the others. Doesn't eat as much and is lethargic. Has watery stool, hunched back, and seems to be sleepy a lot. Should I be worried about this hen or will she come around with a little TLC?

Separate her from the others immediately and post here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

There are people who hang out in that section that knows a lot about diseases and cures. Give them as much detail as possible and
fl.gif

She was close to death the next morning when I checked on her and I had to cull. The other hens however, are doing great. They are foraging, roosting and are getting more and more active. Thanks for checking back in with me. I also contacted Johnn to see if he had any other advice.

Back
Top Bottom