Production Reds and NH Reds - which is which??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lengel, Nov 14, 2008.

1. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Oh dear.

I ordered four Production Reds and eight NH Reds from Ideal. They are now four weeks old. My understanding was that the Production Reds are unusually small and needed to be kept separate so that they have a better chance of survival. I thought I could tell which was which when I got them at one day old but now I can't. They are four weeks old and I can't tell the difference. They all seem to be about the same size and the feather colors aren't very different any more.

Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for? Or if it matters? Thanks for your help. Here they are:

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Even if you dont know which is which now, later on, the NHs should develop black in their tail and some black streaking in their hackles. Then you'll know. My hatchery NHs were yellowish as chicks, not reddish.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  3. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

The production reds should also get a little lighter and have white in them.

4. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Thank you!

5. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    If all the chicks are doing fine, I wouldn't worry about it much. If you start noticing them picking on certain ones, then I would take care of those seperately if need calls for it. They are really cute!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by