Production Red's feet bleeding

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MamiofSeven, Mar 3, 2012.

1. MamiofSeven

MamiofSeven New Egg

Jun 13, 2011
    She's walking around fine, but bleeding. Once I catch her (which has proven difficult, so she must not been in excruciating pain), what should I do? Wash? Styptic powder? Neosporin?

Not sure what she hurt herself on. She free ranges around our (city) backyard with her Ameraucana buddy. She is not yet a year old, and a great layer.

This newbie thanks you!

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Is she bleeding a lot? Enough that she might bleed out? If not, I would just catch her, rinse her foot thoroughly under running water and assess the injury. If you still think it's minor bleeding, you might consider packing the wound with neosporin and wrapping it with gauze then vet wrap - like with bumblefoot. Then change the dressing every day for a few days until you think its healed over enough.

If she IS bleeding a lot, I know you can use various products to make it stop - but have heard you also can use flour. Then I would still do the neosporin/wrap thing.

If it's a very minor injury on the top of the foot or on the leg, I'd probably just clean it off, spray with blukote (it's an antiseptic and will camo the would so the others won't peck it), and call it good. If it's on the bottom of the foot - then you'll need to make a judgement call keeping in mind that they get staph from the dirt and it could eventually lead to bumblefoot.

I'm sure someone else will add their two-cents in here shortly! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by