Production Reds or Rhode Island Reds?

sydney13

Songster
9 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
I asked what breed these guys were a few weeks ago and people seemed to think they were either production reds or rhode island reds. Now that they are a bit bigger I'm wondering which of those two breeds they resemble more (or if you think they are an entirely different breed)?
I got them from Ideal as extra males and they are now three weeks old.
This one has more of a pattern in his wings

And this one's wings are more solid red

Here they are together

kera!

Songster
9 Years
Jan 1, 2011
Navajo County
those are productions, aka cherry eggers , red sexlinx, golden comets... RIR are much darker they are super cute,, Love:) em

Fred's Hens

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
To be clearer, a production red is what most hatcheries sell as RIR. It is a long discussion. There is a thread here about heritage, traditional RIR. It is virtually impossible to get such a bird from a hatchery or feed store bin. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=407294
I
doubt it matters to you. They will likely be friendly, wonderful, great laying birds.

sydney13

Songster
9 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
So what exactly do they breed to get the production reds? According to ideal (where they came from) a production red is a new hampshire red an rhode island red cross. But do thy breed a new hampshire with rhode island to get the production, or is it through generations of breeding rhode island red X new Hampshire hybrids to each other?

Ideal sells the production reds and rhode island reds, so I was wondering what the difference would be between their hatchery rhode islands and their production reds?

Top Bottom