1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Production Reds or Rhode Island Reds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sydney13, May 24, 2011.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I asked what breed these guys were a few weeks ago and people seemed to think they were either production reds or rhode island reds. Now that they are a bit bigger I'm wondering which of those two breeds they resemble more (or if you think they are an entirely different breed)?
    I got them from Ideal as extra males and they are now three weeks old.
    This one has more of a pattern in his wings
    [​IMG]
    And this one's wings are more solid red
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here they are together
    [​IMG]

2. sydney13

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Anyone?

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I'd say production reds

4. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    those are productions, aka cherry eggers , red sexlinx, golden comets... RIR are much darker they are super cute,, Love:) em

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

To be clearer, a production red is what most hatcheries sell as RIR. It is a long discussion. There is a thread here about heritage, traditional RIR. It is virtually impossible to get such a bird from a hatchery or feed store bin. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=407294
    I
    doubt it matters to you. They will likely be friendly, wonderful, great laying birds.

6. sydney13

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    So what exactly do they breed to get the production reds? According to ideal (where they came from) a production red is a new hampshire red an rhode island red cross. But do thy breed a new hampshire with rhode island to get the production, or is it through generations of breeding rhode island red X new Hampshire hybrids to each other?

Ideal sells the production reds and rhode island reds, so I was wondering what the difference would be between their hatchery rhode islands and their production reds? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by