Production Reds talk

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chicken dude, Jan 11, 2013.

1. chicken dude

chicken dude Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2012
    Hey everybody just wanting to know if any of you have production reds and what your experiences are with them because I am interested in this breed.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hey Chicken Dude....not sure how to answer your question...I have a mixed flock of several different breeds. One of hens was sold under the name Red Star. Depending upon the hatchery (and depending on which posts you want to believe) this is the same bird as a Production Red, Gold Comet, and Cinnamon Queen. But I have also read posts that say that Production Reds are non-standard Rhode Island Reds. Whatever the case, I sure like my Red Star!!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hey Chicken Dude....not sure how to answer your question...I have a mixed flock of several different breeds. One of hens was sold under the name Red Star. Depending upon the hatchery (and depending on which posts you want to believe) this is the same bird as a Production Red, Gold Comet, and Cinnamon Queen. But I have also read posts that say that Production Reds are non-standard Rhode Island Reds. Whatever the case, I sure like my Red Star!!

4. chicken dude

Dec 26, 2012
    I read on some website that a production red was a mixture between a rhode island red and a new hampshire red

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The NH was bred out of the RIR in the first place, so this information is basically of no practical use. Hatcheries generally don't sell either one that is truly up to standards anyhow. The fact is that any well laying bird, that is reddish to orangish can be called a Production Red and sold as such. No laws against it. There is no breed police running around handing out tickets. The APA sets the standards for birds bred to their accepted list of recognized breeds. The production red is not a breed. Anyone, anywhere, anytime can, therefor, make a reddish bird that is "productive" and call it what ever they wish, including a production "red".

Many people have birds under this moniker and like them for their eggs. Like them a lot.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  6. aoccl

aoccl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2012
    We can't stump for hatcheries but the best Production Reds out there come from Hy-Line breeding. Some hatcheries carry them and some don't, but you can't beat them when it comes to egg production and they are pretty docile compared to other commercialized brown egg layers. One important point though: these seem to need a very high plane of nutrition and should not be expected to go out and forage and be laying at 22 weeks like they do in layer houses, seems obvious to me but some people don't get that.

7. chicken dude

Dec 26, 2012
    What do you mean by hyline breeding?

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by