Production Reds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jloftin60, Nov 14, 2008.

1. jloftin60

jloftin60 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    DeRidder, LA
    What do you breed to get a production red?

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I think they are cross between Rhode Island reds and New Hampshire.

3. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That is correct. [​IMG]

4. ThreeBoysChicks

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I failed to mention. I have two production reds that I purchased from Ideal and they are beautiful sweet girls that lay jumbo eggs and I am not kidding. Not double yokers, but really big.

5. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    i have 6 production reds and i love them!!1 they have been laying sincer they were 5 months old,they are now 9 months! awesome eggs!!!

6. jloftin60

jloftin60 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    DeRidder, LA
    Thank you for the info.

7. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    When I have to replace my flock.....it will be with Production Reds. Red Stars. They ARE the STARS!!! Huge Eggs.....Nice Dispostion. I LUV em'.

Mary

8. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:would you please post pictures for me of your hens, I like to learn how they look like.
    Thank you.
    Omran

9. ThreeBoysChicks

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    This is a photo of my laying flock. In the picture, the red hen, right in the center is one of my Production Reds, the other hen to the right, with her one leg up is the other Production Red. You can see that one is much darker in color than the other. They both lay beautifully. The Hen in the very front and the Hen in the very back are Golden Comets (Sex-links), they are a cross between a Rhode Island Red and a Rhode Island White. All the other Red birds are the offspring of the two Production Red Hens with a Patridge Rock rooster.

If it were not raining today, I would go get you some better pictures. Maybe when it stops.

[​IMG]

10. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

We are breeding them right now. It is a Rhode Island Red Roo and New Hampshire Hen. We have 5 little fuzzy butts that have hatched out and doing good. Can't wait for spring when they start to lay. Our one New Hampshire throws nice jumbo eggs so we are hatching those in progression for our first stock of Productions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by